Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Racing wheels/tires

Old 07-23-2005, 03:49 PM
cbags05
Oh...He-rr-o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing wheels/tires

I ran my first auto cross this weekend on street tires and noticed the obvious trend...people with racing tires have an advantage.

I have a few questions regarding the upgrade to racing tires. I'd like to keep my Civic in the HS class, so hopefully somebody can help. The rules in the SCCA rulebook are a little confusing to me. http://www.scca.org/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf
Section 13.3 E seems to say that race tires are not allowed. But I know that's not true, so I must be misinterpreting the rule. The other rules seem to state that I can get any type of rims as long as they are the same dimensions as the stock. And I can get about any tire as long as it can fit on the stock rim. Is that correct? If so...how do I find out the widest tire my stock rims can fit? The stock tires are 185/65/15. I'm just trying to make sure I don't violate any rules.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:58 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

You can fit any tire on stock sized rims. You could buy forged wheels that are 15x6" (I believe that is stock for you) and make sure they are within 1/4" offset and put 225/45x15" tires on them - if you can find someone who knows how to put a tire that wide on a wheel that skinny.

Personally since it's your 1st season autocrossing I would just worry about driving and less about mods. You could ruin a perfect new set of R tires your 1st time out. R tires do not give any feedback when you are at and past the limit of your car and tires. Street tires squeal before you are about to loose control of your car OR going past the limits of your car.

I would invest in some Falken Azenis, Kumho MXs, or Hankook RS2s. They are faster than most street tires and still give great feedback when you reach the limit of your car.

Also read my help page in my sig.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:07 PM
cbags05
Oh...He-rr-o

Yeah I understand that I've got to worry about the driving part more than the mods right now. I'm just trying to learn what options I'll have maybe come next spring when I'm getting ready for a full season of competition.

So it's possible to fit a 225/45/15 tire to a 15x6 rim...without violating 13.3 G (without modification)? I suppose the modification part refers to fitting in the fender well.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:24 PM
CivicSiRacer

I did it last year. Although not the best looking setup it worked. For a 225 wide tire you should use a 7" wide rim at least
Old 07-23-2005, 06:44 PM
cbags05
Oh...He-rr-o

Here's a riddle for you since you are so good...where can I get 15x6 wheels...all I can find is 15x6.5. I suppose there's the OEM rims...blah.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:27 AM
CivicSiRacer

http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/Call...pecial=Pricing

SSR Competitions: $299 each @ 8.8lbs
Old 07-24-2005, 06:43 PM
cbags05
Oh...He-rr-o

I'm just seeing those in 15x6.5 at Tire rack. I googled it and see that the 15x6 exist. When it comes time I'll jst make some phone calls...sometimes the internet doesn't give enough info for things like this. That or my computer skills are highly incompetent. Nice rims though. I think they'd look nice on my red civic.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:53 PM
CivicSiRacer

There are 15x6". Do this:
http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...&autoYear=2000

Then scroll to the right.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:14 PM
cbags05
Oh...He-rr-o

Wrong Car...I'm in a 2002 Ex
Old 07-24-2005, 08:07 PM
CivicSiRacer

Originally Posted by cbags05
Wrong Car...I'm in a 2002 Ex
It doesn't matter all Civics run the same wheel and tire sizes basically. So change the car.