Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

how hard to push it

Old 07-12-2005, 09:04 AM
bnuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard to push it

I've been to like 4 or 5 autoX events and i'm starting to get a pretty good feel for it. One question though, how hard do you guys push your tires on the corners? I'm mainly asking in referece to how much my tires should be squealing. I'm ruinning azenis 215s and it felt like I would take a turn faster if kept it a litle more balanced and didn't just bury the outside front tire, but I seemed to get better times if I went all out and could keep under control. I'm really only basing this off a few runs at the last event so I could be wrong. Is there any rules of thumb that you guys use?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

I try not to make my tires squeel at all, that generaly means I am pushing them to hard.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:20 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by bnuk
I've been to like 4 or 5 autoX events and i'm starting to get a pretty good feel for it.
Hate to burst your bubble but you are not even anywhere close to getting a feel for it. It will take at least another year or two before you can say that.

And as for pushing tires. It's hard to say. Each car is different and each driver is different.

For instance Eric Simmons and I both have exactly the same cars (him 1989 Civic Si - me 1991 Civic Si). We usually run within a couple thousandths of a second of each other. The closest upset was him getting me by 0.002 seconds. I rode with him on one of his runs and he scared the crap out of me. The car's back end sliding around, some sections I thought he was just going to lose it. Then he rode with me and I'm smooth and brake really really deep and hard. The back of my car doesn't slide around at all.

But for the RT-215s they should squeal a bit, not alot. Also they love to be cold so watering them down between runs makes them stay sticky.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

It is my goal to not make them talk to me. Like a relationship with a woman, if Im trying that hard somethings not right. Remember noise == heat, and those tires HATE heat.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:15 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Fujiwara Takumi
It is my goal to not make them talk to me. Like a relationship with a woman, if Im trying that hard somethings not right. Remember noise == heat, and those tires HATE heat.
Actually with street tires they should squeal a bit. It's R tires you do not want to get them to that point.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Actually with street tires they should squeal a bit. It's R tires you do not want to get them to that point.

lol, I said it's my goal, never said it happens.