Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

First Autocross! Woo!

Old 07-11-2005, 06:48 AM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Autocross! Woo!

I attended my first Autocross yesterday, and it was AWESOME!

There were three heats: I worked the first heat, rested the second, and raced the third heat. Working and resting before my runs helped me watch others and memorize the course.

60.041 - My first run felt like a calm sunday drive, only hitting VTEC once. At least I got to know the course a little better.

59.124 - I was more comfortable in my second run, but was not satisfied with my time at all. In the 10 minutes between this run and the next one, I sat in my car thinking to myself. I knew I was coasting too much, and decided to simply drive more aggresivly.

56.448 - After making alot more noise on the course, and coasting much less (more throttle, and more braking this time) I returned with 3 seconds gone! I'm getting comfortable with this.

55.388 - Fourth run was my favorite, even more noise, more aggresive.

55.104 - I took Meg in the car for my last run, and the tires were howling almost the whole time! We drifted a little bit in the first 180 turn, which was fun, but slowed us down a bit. Still the fastest run I've done!

This was a course were the best guys were running low to mid 40s (around 43 seconds, I think). I'm still slow, but it was so much fun!

Fifth and last run:
http://www.drastic-creations.com/PHO...02005-Run5.asf
Old 07-11-2005, 06:52 AM
DakarM

good did you go for rides with others? I found that I learned the most when doing rides with the faster drivers. It helps you learn if you are taking the right line and if your going fast in the fast section and slow in the slow section. If you're going slow in the fast section or fast in the slow section it will cost you time.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:12 AM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

I didn't go for any rides, no. But I did make some wonderful connections with some of the older guys over there. I plan on meeting them again next weekend, and I'm sure I'll go for a ride then. Thanks for the advice
Old 07-11-2005, 08:45 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Cool. boy I miss the days I can drop 5-8 seconds from my 1st to my last runs
Old 07-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

the last milwaukee race i went from 10th to 8th to 10th to 9th to 10th during the course of like two runs. It was weird. One guy went from 6th to 1st so it was obvious he really put it together, he took me for a ride and i was absolutely FLOORED to see how he took the course, places where I was preparing for a hard turn and braking he was going in at 85% throttle...in a similar car. I learned WAY more from that last fun run than the entire day.

personally if someone asks for a ride from me its a huge compliment, plus i know theyre there to learn and not just on a break from the damn dragstrip...so feel free to ask, no ones going to laugh at you for asking.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:17 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Cool. boy I miss the days I can drop 5-8 seconds from my 1st to my last runs

I still do that from time to time...
when i spin in my first run h:
LCD Squad #0001
Old 07-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

shoe cars NEVER spin, lol.

the last race a few shoes came out, some were good, some were complete and utter P**sys. One guy ran 5 seconds slower than the junior karts...omg...
Old 07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
DSMtuner
(-_-)/'i')

I could have sworn I saw a few slugs passing me at my first autoX event. Half a season later, im still no where near good, but I know that I wouldnt be even close to where I am if I hadnt of kept a really open mind, taking everyones suggestions and putting them to use, and asking friends to ride with and help me out.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:12 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by DakarM
I still do that from time to time...
when i spin in my first run h:
There are only two places where I usually spin on my 1st run. For some reason certain sections are grippy and others not. So I usually turn my shocks soft on my 1st runs to get the tires warmed up.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:41 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
There are only two places where I usually spin on my 1st run. For some reason certain sections are grippy and others not. So I usually turn my shocks soft on my 1st runs to get the tires warmed up.

Koni D/A are on my list of items to buy... along with 500/600lb springs... in the not so near future :happysad:
LCD Squad #0001