Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Obvious religious radical I grew up with makes pilgrimage

Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obvious religious radical I grew up with makes pilgrimage

http://www.pottsmerc.com/articles/20...0008895546.txt

News
Crossing the country: Stowe native walking coast to coast

Thursday, July 22, 2010
By Janine Briggs Special to The Mercury
Tobiah Steinmetz, 25, is completing the journey of a lifetime this summer. Steinmetz is a graduate of Pottsgrove High School who has been carrying a wooden cross from coast to coast on a 2,411-mile pilgrimage.

According to his Facebook profile, Steinmetz is originally from Stowe and graduated from Pottsgrove High School in 2003. He was a dedicated member of the Marine Corps for five years and served in Iraq. Steinmetz attended Montgomery County Community College and Penn State University.

He is currently attending South Carolina School of Leadership's discipleship program where he found the inspiration for his summer project.

The journey started with a sign and a leap of faith.

"Out of nowhere He put it in my heart to walk across the country," Steinmetz said as he recounted his story to Channel 42 News in West Alabama. However, the fear of missing bills and skipping rent payments him reluctant to commit to such a journey.

Even though he wanted to do it, Steinmetz told the Quay County Sun in New Mexico that he needed a push to make the final decision.

Some say God works in mysterious ways and this time He worked through the IRS, Steinmetz said. After filing his taxes, the tax refund he received was just enough to cover his bills for the summer. This was the final sign he needed to set off on his journey.

On May 17, Steinmetz took a one-way flight to Los Angeles and started his pilgrimage to Columbia, S.C. the next morning. He started the trip with no money, no food, and very little water.

Steinmetz told a CBS reporter, "I don't know if I can do it, but He continued to confirm it over and over." He has relied on the support of others for food, water, encouragement and shelter for sleeping.

He also added that throughout his entire trip he has not missed a single meal and thanks the kindness of strangers for the support. He has also depended on his desert training as a former Marine to help him cross the deserts of Arizona and New Mexico and endure the months of physically draining days.

Carrying a 16-pound cross, Steinmetz needs to walk an average of 10 hours per day to reach Columbia by his goal date. Although he had the summer off, Steinmetz must return to college by Aug. 13, so he can start his fall classes.

Steinmetz has gained national attention in the states that have seen his pilgrimage so far. Followers can track Steinmetz's progress on his Facebook page along with his 1,800 friends and followers. As of July 21, he had just made it to Atlanta and still has about 215 miles left in his journey to Columbia.

I know him only in passing the halls of our high school and through others.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 AM
NOPD
Come in My Hole

dudes gangsta, if he happens to pass through new orleans I'll get him drunk.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM
ShaolinLueb

16 pound cross.... wasn't the one that Jesus carried weigh over 100lbs? if you aren't going to do it right, don't do it at all.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

God controls the IRS refunds....riiiiight.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
danni*j
Shenanigans

Thats cool, but really effing nuts.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Red X
x pǝɹ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShaolinLueb
16 pound cross.... wasn't the one that Jesus carried weigh over 100lbs? if you aren't going to do it right, don't do it at all.
lol!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:08 PM
azn_redneck
Live Free Or Die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRAIGHIMSELF
God controls the IRS refunds....riiiiight.
He does. If Satan controlled the refunds, I would have been compelled to spend mine on booze and hookers. Instead, I was compelled to purchase about 5 more guns.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Tobra

There was a guy in Montgomery County TX who walked around with a big cross slung over his shoulder. He had to put wheels on it because it ground the bottom down dragging on the ground.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 PM
CrossWalk2010

Originally Posted by NOPD
dudes gangsta, if he happens to pass through new orleans I'll get him drunk.
I'll be around next week. HMU! 484-363-3277
Old 03-29-2017, 08:04 PM
CrossWalk2010

Originally Posted by ShaolinLueb
I actually told the reporter "probably 60 pounds" but they wrote "16" ...happens every time.