Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Hypothetical car shuffling

Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hypothetical car shuffling

I just thought I'd get HAN's input on the possibilities here. I know I've posted a similar thread in the past, but the options have changed a bit since then.

The civic should be up and running in a couple weeks, and I've been thinking about what would be the best way to trim my stable down to two cars. My criteria are as follows. I need a capable camping vehicle (i.e. 4x4 and locked, doesn't have to be gonzo) and a "sporty" car for commuting and autox. One of those two vehicles must hold a few friends comfortably and not be a total embarrasment, and I'm kinda sick of the infiniti anyway.

So as I see it, I have two options:

1) Sell the Infiniti and the shitbucket and get a 96+ 4runner. Use the civic for general commuting, use the 4 Runner for clients/camping/whenever I need a larger car. Benefits: the civic should get pretty good mpg's with the B20, the newer 4runner would seat me and 4 friends, so fewer vehicles would be needed on camping trips, and I wouldn't shy away from long trips where highway driving is required. Drawbacks: The civic isn't exactly the most pleasant commuter, and the longer I have it, the more money I'll blow on it

2) Sell the Infiniti and the Civic, get a WRX for a fun/commuter car. Keep the shitbucket for camping/wheeling. Benefits: I think I would be satisfied autocrossing a mostly stock WRX, and it would be a way better DD than the infiniti or the civic, and a good snowboarding car, worry-free wheeling in the shitbucket. Drawbacks: the shitbucket doesn't go on the highway very well, and can only carry one passenger, wrx would definitely get worse mpg's and require better fuel than the civic.

I'm sure I only want 2 cars, so I just need to figure out the best way to go about it. I would be looking to spend less than $10k for a 4Runner and less than $12k on a Subaru.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 PM
jaymar88
HA.net Workout Krew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with the runner. Ultimately, you'll end up with two nice cars. The runner will serve as your "utility vehicle" and the civic as a DD will be perfect. Something cheap and easy to fix with great gas mileage. Pick up a WRK and I guarantee you'll be modding it in no time.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:04 PM
thomas
pew pew pew

i love the 96-02 4runners thats the way that i would go if you can find a 4x4 v6 5sp they came stock with a locking rear diff
Old 09-22-2008, 03:09 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally Posted by thomas
i love the 96-02 4runners thats the way that i would go if you can find a 4x4 v6 5sp they came stock with a locking rear diff
yeah, I would only get one with the e-locker. There's a lady at my office that has one and it's a little beat up. I kinda wanna ask her if she's willing to sell, but realistically, I wont be ready to make the change for a few months at least.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:09 PM
scotttharobot
beer here

that's a tough one.

how about buying a e39 5 series (525i, 528i) for a DD / clientmobile? that'll be entertaining, present well, and if you get the sport package, easily auto-x capable in stock trim. Excellent gas mileage as well. They can be found pretty cheap.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:16 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally Posted by Scott Dodge
that's a tough one.

how about buying a e39 5 series (525i, 528i) for a DD / clientmobile? that'll be entertaining, present well, and if you get the sport package, easily auto-x capable in stock trim. Excellent gas mileage as well. They can be found pretty cheap.
5 series is a little big for me, and the BMW cost of ownership (i.e. parts) is pretty outrageous. I've thought about a 3-series, but the bang/$ just isn't there for me :hs:
Old 09-22-2008, 03:17 PM
HawtPants
the one and only

you only need one car.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:19 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally Posted by HawtPants
you only need one car.
My hobbies dictate at least two h:
Old 09-22-2008, 03:44 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
5 series is a little big for me, and the BMW cost of ownership (i.e. parts) is pretty outrageous. I've thought about a 3-series, but the bang/$ just isn't there for me :hs:
myth.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:06 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally Posted by DakarM
myth.
More info please h: I'm just going from what I've heard. It's also important that whatever car I get is something I can work on myself. :-/