Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

overheated engine, what to test to determine if it's fried?

Old 07-12-2003, 03:55 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheated engine, what to test to determine if it's fried?

Ok, I ran my CRX for who knows how long with the temp gauge pegged at the top (yea I know, I'm a tard. Feel free to admonish me at will, I deserve it). When I pulled over and popped the hood, smoke was rollin out from around the engine. Probably the way-above-normal temperatures burnin off all the gunk n oil left behind from numerous minor leaks. Anyway...

I plan to do a compression test, replace the radiator (it has a leak, that's why it overheated), check valve lash, and watch it VERY carefully over the next few days while I drive it to see what's dead and what's ok. Any advice? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2003, 04:58 PM
crxb16er

do ur compression test see if u blew out the head gasket with water temps being too high, test ur water pump and check for leaks, check all ur hoses including heater hoses, block to manifold and all other back side coolant hoses, hopefully u just fried it a little and didnt seriously damage ur engine, ur extremely lucky u didnt crack the block, honda's are made to run forever as long as u dont run them out of oil or overheat them u bone head, but (sadly) i have also ran mine until the engine light came on because i had a leak also and i ended up burning my engine out, ruined the head (warped the shit outta it) and blew out many hoses, for ur own sake and $$$ u'll be much happier if u take care of it good luck on the compression test hope everything is still ok.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:59 PM
crxb16er

oh and use a brand new radiator cap im sure ur old one is kinda toasted and has a burnt worn down seal now.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:00 PM
crxb16er

if the radiator leak is around the top where its easy to fix u might want to try an acid core solder meant for radiator repair if ur able to save urself the 100 bucks if its a relatively easy fix ive done this with 2 leaks b4 with no problems, just an idea
Old 09-22-2003, 07:20 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

i also have a "overheated engine" question. This regards a 1993 Acura Integra LS 5 speed.

The car was driven approx 1 full mile while gauge was maxed out. This was on a backroad goin approx 20-40 mph.

Can this damage the block? I want the good news which is the head is warped and that only needs to be replaced!

This actually is not my car, but i offered $500 for it but dont know the full extent of the damage.

I'm also prepareed to maybe replace either radiator or water pump because one of those caused this in the first place.

The owner also said that he started it later on in the day when it was cool and it sounded "loud". Would this immediately mean head warpage?

when you warp a head is it JUST the head? No cams are damaged right? Or springs or valves?

Please give me some advice, i want this car bad!

Dave