Notices

Engine problem -Please help

Old 10-07-2003, 05:55 PM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problem -Please help

My motor died today. Every so often the fuel will just shut off for no reason. I was stuck today trying to start my car for like 20 min. When I prime the motor before I start it, sometimes the fuel pump will not turn on. WTF Its really weird cause my stock motor did the same thing and now this motor does it even now with a new fuel pump. This problem occurs maybe once a month
Old 10-07-2003, 06:46 PM
dantastic
cx power!

sounds like a main relay problem
Old 10-08-2003, 01:18 AM
Denns

Good !

Service manual say : if engine wont start

1. Check fuel pump
2. Check main relay
3. Check injector resistors

Regards
Old 10-08-2003, 06:23 AM
Wharbone

Replace the relay and see if that fixes it. That's what I would put my money on.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:32 AM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

Aright then, thanks guys. Any idea how much for new relay? or injector resistors?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:44 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

try www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and look them up for your engine. they're 1/2 the price of my local dealers for most everything.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:12 PM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

While were on the subject, is it normal to hear a change of pitch in the sound that my fuel pump makes (walbro 190) when I put on my turn signal/ turn on my headlights? Could my alternator my toasted?
Old 10-09-2003, 06:19 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Niko: It's been covered before... I hijacked one of Paulll's (Sory again, Paulll) threads once with it... https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...wire+fuel+pump

Nothing's wrong with your car, just that Honda engineers made the fuel system "good enough" for the engine that was in it. What's happening is you're not getting the current from your car's entire electrical system to your fuel pump with tiny little 16 gauge wires. Rewiring your fuel pump directly to the battery (with a relay wired to the original fuel pump + wire to switch the battery circuit on and off) will give you trouble-free performance from it. It will also bypass the 5-7 different wires and connectors, turn signal circuits, stereo equipment, fuel computers, gauges, etc... that the current used to have to travel through to get there.

Hard-tuned DSMers noticed a long time ago on their datalogs and fuel computers that when you're pushing the edge of detonation, that a turn signal can make you cycle from almost lean, to lean. Rewiring the fuel pump will give you rock solid baseline pressures, and even grants a little extra fuel pressure and lph. But more importantly in your case, no more fuel pump noise like you're hearing.

Some DSM vendors sell fuel pump rewire kits. The idea and parts are the same, but the brand of car is different. check www.vfaq.com, and www.plymouthlaser.com for DIY's on this project, and then get a 12v tester and find which fuel pump wire is the + on your Honda.

...Use a multimeter set for DC V, and test the fuel pump connector if you want to see how much current is really being lost when you turn your signal blinks...
Old 10-09-2003, 06:24 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You da man Jafro. I still need to do this mod. :happysad:
Old 10-09-2003, 06:56 AM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

Damn Jaf, youre sick, thanks a lot dude. Not anyone I know was able to tell me that. Shit, I guess I know what to do now, I got all the stuff at my work (car sterio installation).
-Peace