Notices

3 or 4 point harness?

Old 10-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Import-Tooner
skoooooie!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 or 4 point harness?

Hey, I have a eg civic that I built to autocross and drag race. I just wondered if any of you have a 4 point racing harness in your civic, but don't have a roll cage? As far as I knew, you had to get 3 point if you don't have a roll cage. The ones I want are the TAKATA but I can only find them in 4 point. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I figure it is legit.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:05 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in autocross, you can use a 4 point without a cage, but it has to be "properly mounted" I'm not exactly sure what that entails, tho.

:edit: isn't a 3 point just the same as your seatbelt?
Old 10-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 3 or 4 point harness?

Originally posted by import-tooner
The ones I want are the TAKATA but I can only find them in 4 point. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I figure it is legit.
Takata's are REALLY $$$.

I think a 4 point harness is optimal, but then you might have issues with that and not having a cage.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 10-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

i ran a 4 point harnass in my car for a little bit.

it sucked ass.

it would ride up on you. you have to adjust it, if you are wearing more layers of clothes than the day before.

i'd do like a 5 or 6 point harnass so it'd keep the damn thing from riding up on you.

it's pretty annoying.
and as far as i know they are dangerous without a cage if you flip the car. Since the belt goes down after it goes over your shoulder.

i like my stock seat belts. buckle up, and unbuckle without adjusting the straps everytime.
-----
Old 10-07-2003, 05:45 PM
qtiger

Takata = overpriced JDM boo-sheit.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:31 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Do not run a harness on the street unless you don't mind being paralyzed or dead in an accident. Wearing a harness without a roll cage or bar and if the car flips in an accident your head cannot go anywhere if the roof caves in and you be dead.

I use a 4 point harness but like Bumnah said it does ride up. Although I only wear mine for my 1 minute autocross run so it's not too bad. I've worn 5 point harnesses and they are more comfortable. I prefer cam locks as opposed to latches.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:04 PM
drew935
Laguna Seca circuit

Takatas are awesome. 4pt is all they make. Only use them on the street if you have a cage. You need to run the right seat to run aftermarket belts through the head loops. Unless you use sparco sports belts..Just run the cage, it's not much hassle to have one.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:57 PM
gsr92hatch

if i buy racing seats on ebay, should i just stick with my seat belt, or should i get harnesses ( no cage) and how many points??
Old 10-09-2003, 07:33 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by gsr92hatch
if i buy racing seats on ebay, should i just stick with my seat belt, or should i get harnesses ( no cage) and how many points??
Stick with your seatbelt. Its not safe to drive around with a 4 pt w/ no cage. As far as I know a 3 pt. harness is basically just the same thing as your stock seatbelt anyway...
Old 10-09-2003, 08:58 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally posted by Sh*tBox
Stick with your seatbelt. Its not safe to drive around with a 4 pt w/ no cage. As far as I know a 3 pt. harness is basically just the same thing as your stock seatbelt anyway...
No it's not. It the shoulder harnesses but it's a 'Y' type attachment to the rear.