Notices

Looks like my engine blew today : ( now its swap time...

Old 10-06-2003, 08:26 AM
bigjdog84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like my engine blew today : ( now its swap time...

I was doing some bodywork last night on my hatch, and went to go start it up this morning. Sounded like crap. I knew I had a problem with my oil pan gasket leaking the day before, and a tiny bit of oil burning.
So either way, i turned off the car and checked the oil, there was just watery condensation on the dipstick. Damnit.... I dont know how the hell that happened, this motor just scored 160psi on all 4 about a month ago. I didnt feel it loosing power or anything, just kept topping off the oil. I put 4 quarts in there, cause there was absolutely no oil on the dipstick. Car idle'd normally. I was very concerned but had a test in IST110 (yuck) so i babied there on the way to school. It started smoking blue, and bucking. So I'm basically screwed.

Now this was my daily driver that I was repainting while I saved for my DSM's engine rebuild (eagle rods, ross pistons, etc).

I dont want the car to be insanely fast, just a little bit of power, with a little bit of money. Basically something cost effective. My budjet will have to be >1000. I dont think I want to dish out the $ for a B series, since I already have a car that runs 11's, and i'm running super low on cash.

I was thinking of going with a dohc ZC, or maybe a sohc d15b vtec. I take it that I will need an ecu and trans for either setup. Or can I use my existing trans for the d15b vtec setup? DX axles will work with either one I take it? Sorry I'm new to the whole civic swap thing. I have swapped a lude engine before so, i should be in pretty good shape.
Any input is appreciated :thumbup:
Thanks
Later/joe
Old 10-06-2003, 08:52 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Z6 would work fine too.

D series axles won't fit a B series.

You could do a B16A2/3 as well. All depends on $$ and goals.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:11 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

IST 110? what school do u go to?
Old 10-06-2003, 01:15 PM
bigjdog84

Originally posted by westcoaststyle
A Z6 would work fine too.

D series axles won't fit a B series.

You could do a B16A2/3 as well. All depends on $$ and goals.
Yeah, I'm stearing clear from the B series, even though its ideal for performance. Just cant spend the moulan rouge on the associated swap parts :P
Whats the actual diff. between that d15b vtec I was thinking about and d16z6? It just looks like one more liter of displacement. Off one site I can pick up the d15b vtec for 400 some plus shipping. That seems pretty interesting. Oh, by either setup i meant the zc or the d15b, B series is out of the question.

Igo4bmx, I'm going to penn state worthington majoring in IST, and I hate my professor, she cant teach worth jack
:fawk:
heh
Later/joe
Old 10-06-2003, 06:44 PM
dantastic
cx power!

d15b or d16z6 are both really easy swap, and u can use most of ur existing stuff. you may wanna just pull the head off and check the head gasket. its only ~$30
Old 10-06-2003, 06:53 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

d16z6 for the awesome single cam vtAck powA y0! h:
Old 10-06-2003, 08:22 PM
illicon2003

Maybe a blessing in disguise..I'd get a b18c if I was you. Or maybe a new car???