Notices

New to Hondas, former VW owner

Old 10-05-2003, 05:19 PM
AllyTron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Hondas, former VW owner

Hey guys, newbie here, not only to the boards, but to Hondas as well (previously owned 3 different generations of the VW Jetta.) I just have a few questions regarding the brand that I'm hoping some of you will entertain. I know a little about Honda/Acura topics but when it comes to technical stuff, I'm clueless. Here are my stupid questions:

Am I correct in assuming that since the 3rd generation Integra (maybe even the previous generations as well) was based off the same platform as the 6th gen Civic, the RSX is based off of the 7th gen Civic platform?

Out of curiosity, I have no knowledge of how easily compatible and interchangeable the engine/suspension components are for the Civic and the RSX, but is transplanting the RSX's 2-liter engine into a Civic a pain? (Not that I'll ever have the money to do so, heh.)

Again, out of curiosity, has anyone ever somehow shoehorned an Accord V6's engine into a 7th gen Civic?

Is the 6th gen Civic Si's 1.6-liter 4-banger (which I do know is related to the Del Sol engine) related to the other engines offered in the 6th gen line-up? (Essentially, is the Si's engine block the same, and if so, what sets it apart?) Is the 7th gen Civic's engine based off the same design as the 6th's or is it a completely different engine altogether? (Sorry, the bulk of my knowledge is saturated with 1.8T's, VR6's, and such, doh!)

My 03 Civic Coupe EX came with 185 / 65 R15 tires which I think are waaaaaaay skinny (The wheels look like they're the ones that were on the 6th gen Si, are they the same width?) Would getting 195 / 60 R15 tires, the same size as the current Si, pose a problem for the speedometer, as in giving me the wrong reading? Are my wheels the same width as the current Si's?

Thanks for any answers in advance, these boards seem pretty cool
Old 10-05-2003, 06:07 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get 195mm or 205mm section width tires for those wheels. I would do that because 185 is WAY to small... i'd be worried about curbing and whatnot. Is that what came on there stock?

The B16a (Civic Si/Del Sol motor) is different from other civic motors in that it has two overhead cams instead of one. It also has variable valve timing -vtec (which the civic ex also has, but the ex is sohc vtec). The B16a shares more in common with an integra motor than other civic motors.

The RSX-S (K20) motor swap into a 7th gen civic is pretty straight forward, and can be done using OEM parts.

An accord V6 into a civic would be way too much trouble, if its possible at all...

hope that answers some questions... Welcome and enjoy :wavey:
Old 10-06-2003, 05:41 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-06-2003, 11:03 AM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

most 1992-2000 civics and 1994-2001 integras have interchangable parts, like brakes, engines, interiors, etc. the same goes for the 2001+ civics and 2002+ rsx's. makes it very convinient to customize.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:13 AM
hybridhondahatch
for that added pep

welcome aboard, haha im doing the oppisite of you, im slowly getting into VW's
Old 10-06-2003, 11:32 AM
illicon2003

You shoulda gotten a RSX -s or a WRX, those new civics suck
Old 10-06-2003, 11:42 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WRX is a HP disappointment.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:59 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

:wavey: those are some excellent questions!!! no noob sticker for you... :exnbp:

just to add on to what everybody else said, motor swaps from 3rd gen integras to the 6th gen (96-00) civic are easily done with a few modifications and some rewiring, but these engines are almost a simple drop in for 5th (92-95) gen civics. most major components are interchangable between the integra and civic of these years.

i have changed over the motor, suspension, and brakes of a 96 GSR integra into my 96 civic hb without any need to modify the body or frame. brakes and suspension was a simple bolt on, but the motor took a little more time.

on a car audio stand point, honda/acuras are more forgiving and easier to work on when it comes to installing systems/amps/alarms/multimedia systems. the wire colors are simple to read just like VW's. there is plenty of room to work with behind the dash unlike most VW's and panels come off with great ease.

just as a little welcoming tip, this board is essential biased towards modifications that demonstrate functionality and subtlety. we love clean cars, usually credit those who try new innovations even if it doesn't suit our own taste, and we LOVE to flame ricers!!!! enjoy and welcome... :yay:
Old 10-06-2003, 05:57 PM
AllyTron

I got a Honda for two reasons:

1. VW doesn't offer a notchback coupe, I've always wanted one. It was either an E46 M3 or the Civic, and considering that I'm a starving, poor artist (shyeah), I chose what was practical.

2. VW workmanship is top notch, but mechanical and electrical problems need serious quality control.

And here's the obligatory pic of my stockity stock car:

And here's a drawing I did of it:

I'm right there with ya on the rice thing, TFATF and the sequel didn't help the awful trend either. Hey hybrid, what kinda VW ya gettin'? 20th Anniversary GTI maybe?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:37 PM
dantastic
cx power!

lets clear up a few things here....

01+ civics (except for the Si hatch) use 1.7L sohc (d17) motors. their basic design is similar to the 5th (92-95) and 6th gen (96-00) sohc 1.6 (d16) motors.

the 02+ hatch uses a more similar platform to the RSX, as it uses the same k20 motor as in the base RSX. there is a company that has made a swap kit to bolt in the rsx/si motor into your chasis. it'll fit, but not without a set of mounts, some minor plumbing, and alot of wiring and $$.