Notices

Exhaust Question

Old 10-05-2003, 11:38 AM
YeaItsAFourDoor
..::-Free your mind-::..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question

Currently im in the VA/DC/MD area. Certain parts really frown upon aftermarket exhaust systems. I had a custom exhaust system that consisted of a DC 4-1 header, removed cat, 2 1/4 midpipe into a R1 Muffler ( straight thru ). All I can say is that it was really loud....well after so many tickets I decided enough was enough but being a college student I don't have money to completely change my system back to stock. It ran me 200$ just to put a stock axle back, back on.

Now my muffler a high pitch metal scrapping type noise at certain high RPM's. My theory was that it's too much compression and some noise is leaking thru the muffler turning into a high pitch sound.

How to fix this problem, if that indeed is the problem.
I was thinking about putting a cut-out (race-ready) right before the axle back, that way the exhaust looks stock but I dump out everything like it was a performance muffler. The best muffler is no muffler right? With the cut out I can easily cap it up when i don't want noise and when I do.

Oh yea, I know your thinking, "why not a silencer on my other muffler?" It didn't quiet it down at all...

All opinions and suggestions appreciated. Please note that I'm trying to rig this up ASAP and I dont have much $$$ to splurge.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:45 AM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its making that noise prolly cause you have no catalytic converter on.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:49 AM
YeaItsAFourDoor

I have a high flow one, one with out the wire stuff inside it, but i don't really consider that a Cat..but ...I suppose that could be the problem.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:52 AM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prolly is the problem......just me having one with my after-market muffler it has a metal rasp to it(but sounds good to me) on a stock app. its prolly what doing that
Old 10-05-2003, 12:05 PM
YeaItsAFourDoor

Lol oh, when I had my after market muffler It never had a metal rasp, just now with my stock.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:37 PM
dantastic
cx power!

you're stock muffler may have rotted out if you left it off for a while (my stock one did).

i had custom 2.25" from my cat to an n1 style muffler. that shit was soooo annoying and loud. i switched to a brospeed catback, $225 new. it sounds just like a greddy sp, and i gained A LOT of low end power with the more restrictive exhaust
Old 10-06-2003, 08:12 PM
illicon2003

I think there is a 2nd cat located in the muffler that reduces sound