Notices

Tps

Old 10-05-2003, 06:28 AM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tps

I picked up my D16Z6 yesterday. The motor is missing the TPS. Can i pick up only the sensor or do i need to pick up the whole Throttle body? I looked at my VX one and it seems like it doesn't come off, but looking at the throttle body on the Z6 it looks like it can be screw on. Please help.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Honda does not sell the TPS without the throttle body, that's just the way it is. I don't know why, because broken TPS's are very common on engine swaps. Your best bet is the junkyard, but you know as well as I do that you're not going to find one.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Slacker

Try sohfast.com. They'll usually hook u up with just the sensor.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

To get the old one out, use a hack saw and make a notch in the "screw" and then use a flat head screw driver to take it out. Works like a charm. And you can use any TSP from any honda from 88 on up, but the 88-91 civic dx will have to have 2 wires swapped, as well as the 88-89 prelude for sure. Maybe the 90-91 ludes too. But any other civic, and teg, etc will work. If you end up not fiding one, I might be able to hook you up. Gotta see what's in the old garage.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

How do you like that? Riveted-on TPS sensors. That seriously pissed me off last spring when I bought my hatch. When I was swapping it, I noticed the DX one was the same riveted-on BS. You can break the old TPS off (if you're in a hurry), pull the rivets with pliers, drill and tap the holes for standard screws, and fit an aftermarket TPS on it... but how fun is that? They're soft aluminum. They're not easily rebuildable. They're pretty disposable.

I thought it was funny that I found a .pdf outlining the Honda TPS adjustment process. They're not adjustable from the factory, but doing what's listed above would make it adjustable.

I've seen throttle bodies on eBay for $25. That's how I fixed my broken TPS. That might be your best bet for now. You want to take your time and do some reading about what's needed to pull it off if you're going to hack the one you've got. I could dig up that .pdf... I saved it. It's just the specs for getting it in range with a multimeter so your car will idle properly once it's on there.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:53 AM
username03

salvage/junk yardddddddd
Old 10-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Doesn't Banks have that CRX Si still? If they are interchangeable, they might have one.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:36 PM
hondajeff

TPS sensors have to be turned until correct ohms are required then they are riveted into place to keep from moving. They are not suppose to be moved or taken off,that is why they come with the throttle body's when you buy them new. New T.Body's from honda come with map sensor also.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:45 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

On my Z6 TB it is threaded. Almost like it the used breakoff bolts( the bolt in and then break at a certain torque setting) Is that ture or are the all rivited on? If u can dig up the .PDF then that would be good.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

dude, you can take any tps off. using the method backoff stated above.

just use a dremel with a cut off wheel and make a line on the rivet deep enough for a flat head screw driver
then just loosen the bolt out and get the tps out along with the gasket.

you can reuse the bolts if you want, or get replacement ones.

either way.
put the tps on, and stick a multimeter in the middle wire of the tps plug (red wire). Have the tps plug plugged into the tps sensor. With the car on the on position (not turned over. Use the dc volts fuction on your multimeter.

at closed it should be .5 volts. at wide open throttle it should be 4.5.

if you set it properly at closed, WOT should be @ 4.5

a lot of the honda tps' are interchangable.

i've got an extra sitting around, but it didn't work well on my ericks racing tb.
-----