Notices

Help! IACV issue again

Old 10-04-2003, 09:23 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! IACV issue again

i got code 14 on my civic - IACV on my 00 ex coupe
i reset the ecu and noticed my radiator fluid was low so i filled it up and then started car with heat on fulll blast till car warmed up...
it was fine for a day but now once again i have the IACV code.

any thoughts? I have to go get my car inspected and tested for emissions today!
Old 10-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

so it wasn't throwing the code when your coolant was low? fill it up, and now it is?

TRy resetting the ecu, take it off and spray some intake cleaner through it, and make sure the seal on it is still good.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:03 PM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by Bakeoff
so it wasn't throwing the code when your coolant was low? fill it up, and now it is?

TRy resetting the ecu, take it off and spray some intake cleaner through it, and make sure the seal on it is still good.
intake cleaner where?
im thinking about trying to pull of the iacv and cleaning it?
Old 10-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

disconnect the coolant lines, then unbolt the thing from the manifold. There is a figure eight shaped gasket in there. Make sure it's not dried out. Then the two holes that the gasket goes around, just spray a ton of intake cleaner into. Don't use carb cleaner cause it can mess up electrical components. Not sure what the difference, but I've had it damage shit before. There should just be a ton of carbon and crap that comes out. Pour all of the junk out before putting it back on.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:08 PM
WideBodyEK
Stage 3 Modified

do as bakeoff said to clean the IACV,..there will be 2 holes,..i dont know about the dseries motors,..but for my LS,..only one hole has a screen,..make sure to get that clean also,...when you take off the hoses,..you will leak a little bit of coolant...but it shouldnt be much,...clean the IACV and let me know if the code comes back up,...because ive cleaned my IACV and my code is still popping up
Old 10-04-2003, 10:42 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

...also keep in mind that if your coolant went low, and you refilled it, that you probably still have air in the coolant system. You need to burp all the air out of it. Low coolant will mess up the functionality of a AIC motor just like a clogged AIC will because it's one of the highest placed items in the engine bay with coolant running through it, and it uses coolant temps to help regulate itself. It has a tendency to gather air bubbles.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:50 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by Jafro
...also keep in mind that if your coolant went low, and you refilled it, that you probably still have air in the coolant system. You need to burp all the air out of it. Low coolant will mess up the functionality of a AIC motor just like a clogged AIC will because it's one of the highest placed items in the engine bay with coolant running through it, and it uses coolant temps to help regulate itself. It has a tendency to gather air bubbles.
yeah i'm thining thats the problem, because yesterday i cleared the ecu again... let it warm up and was fine...
then i was playing with the temperature settings while driving... putting the temp to cold and once again it popped up
Old 10-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

When you're filling the coolant, you should always have the temp setting on hot because there's a ball valve right in front of the firewall that opens allowing coolant to flow through the heater core. If it's on cold (closed) when you fill it, there could still be air trapped in the heater circuit. That's probably all it is, AICV's rarely go bad. If you keep throwing codes, give the AIC and your throttle body a thorough cleaning and it should go away. Those AIC motors are expensive as hell, and a code 14 is pretty generic. There are 6 things that can happen that will set it off...

1. Low coolant.
2. Clogged Throttle Body Bypass.
3. Clogged AIC ports.
4. IAT and AICV electrical connectors attached backwards.
5. Wrong throttle body gasket.
6. Intake manifold leak.

Notice that none of these things are actually a failure on the AICV's part, but that's the code that will pop up. Your ECU doesn't know better. The AIC has an operating range, and if it can't stabilize the idle within that range, it just blames the AIC even if something else is the cause. If you can discount all 6 of these things, then the 7th option is a bad AICV. But check all of these first before dropping $200 on a new one.

An invoice for my consultation fee is in the mail to you...
Old 10-05-2003, 02:53 PM
hondajeff

you most of the time when your iac valve goes up,your idle jumps up and down when you first start the car. sounds like something else is wrong. what have you recently done to the car?? honda's are very reliable and usually when stuff like that goes bad its because of milege or something else you modified and its interfearing.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:06 PM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by hondajeff
you most of the time when your iac valve goes up,your idle jumps up and down when you first start the car. sounds like something else is wrong. what have you recently done to the car?? honda's are very reliable and usually when stuff like that goes bad its because of milege or something else you modified and its interfearing.
last major thing was turboo with turbo timer