Notices

Just got a Del Sol...help...

Old 10-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Venom88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a Del Sol...help...

Well, I just picked up a 1993 Del Sol...it has the 1.5 engine 130,000 miles. Manual. I know it isn't the greatest year, and its not a Vtec, but I have the prelude for that. I wanted a small cruiser that was a convertable more or less, but it still has a bit of pick up. And is in great condition...inside is perfect, outside is extremely nice. it is red, thats the only bad thing, would have preferred another color...I paint 3000 for it, was that a good deal?

Also, what do I need to check on this? Timing belt, is this an issue...what can I do to make sure I get a ton more miles and it doesn't break on me? I know nothing of del sols...I am a 5th gen prelude man...but now I own both...but please help me in what I need to do...
Old 10-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

If you plan on just leaving it as is, all I'd worry about is the timing belt, tires, and just general stuff like spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

As far as price goes, it REALLY depends on your area. Honestly, it could have gone for anything between 1500 and 5000.... All depnds on the market in your area, and the condition of the car.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Motohip

In my area, that car would go for around 4500-5000...seriously! I think you go ta pretty good deal. If it's got 130k mi, the timing belt was probably replaced. Makes me wonder if mines gonna need to be replaced soon too. I think it's about that time. Damn!
Old 10-04-2003, 01:46 AM
OSX2000
Do what must be done.

Nice find...just too bad it's an S.

:wopics:
Old 10-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Venom88

yeah...its an S, but it will do. Is there a way to tell if the timing belt has been replaced? Or is that something you can't tell. I have no service records. And the guy I bought it from was car illiterate. I will get pics soon, I let someone borrow my digi, so I can' t now. Plus it has these ugly red seat covers that I want to take a picture of and sell on ebay. I need my camera back so I can take the seat covers off...
Old 10-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Venom88

Hey also, it doesn't have a spoiler, where is the best place to buy a spoiler? Should I hit junk yards, or will that be a waste of time?
Old 10-04-2003, 09:45 AM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

I'd say, don't get a spoiler right away. Hold off on it for a while. Someone told me that, and I eneded up never getting one, and love that I didn't Once you do afew other things on the car, you'll appreciate the cleaner look.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by Venom88
Is there a way to tell if the timing belt has been replaced? Or is that something you can't tell.
It can be difficult to tell. If you are afraid of it breaking, just replace it. Change the water pump while you're down there too, since the timing belt has to be removed for it to be replaced.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:42 PM
tib
ex-soler

well, at 130k miles the timimg belt should have already been replaced along with the water pump and all, so if it hasnt been you should check that out. i would have paid about $2500-3500 for it here, its gonna make a nice car to drive around in, even if its an S. id lay off the spoiler for the time being, unless your made of money or sure your gonna want one. mine dosent have one, and im on the fence about it myself, so just shop around wherever you know cheap parts to be at (yards if you want a stock one, internet if you want an aftermarket) and when you find a good deal, jump.

enjoy