Notices

help deciding on plugs.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:55 PM
alllooksnnogo
Just another import lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help deciding on plugs.

Ok guys time for some new plugs and wires for my B16B. The wires that came with the engine were totaled and I need your opinions on which plug I should go with.

I have narrowed the selection down to two.

BOTH NGK!!!!

iridiums IX

or

platinum

Question time>>

What is the proper gap for the plug for my engine? (.044")????
Does anyone have some good links for info on Type R parts and general faqs?

Thanks in advance guys

matt :thumbup:
Old 10-03-2003, 07:30 PM
jonjon

if you don't already have it, get a complete msd ignition system (control box, external coil, spark plug wires; the SCI would be great for your car) and go NGK Iridium for the plugs themselves. :thumbup:
Old 10-03-2003, 08:02 PM
alllooksnnogo

Thanks jonjon...others opinions on an MSD kit. Anyone else think that this might be the way to go. I just read up on the SCI a little bit and it sounds pretty good. However companies always brag up there products....sometimes with no proof I was definately leaning the toward the iridium plugs.

Along with my origional questions. >>> If I get iridiums what is the heat rating on them? I know I need a number 7 heat rated plug for my engine.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:23 PM
alllooksnnogo

one more thing. If I get an MSD ignition kit I'm going to have to change the distributer cap right?? Are the wires for a GSR/ITR the same as the ones for the B16? If so then I believe that I will need an MSD kit for an integra because of my distributer. The necessary cap for my dist.. is from an integra. (p73) help!!!

Sorry for all the questions at once here but I have to change those plugs/wires soon.

thanks guys

matt
Old 10-03-2003, 08:24 PM
jonjon

Pretty sure the Iridiums are rated B(P-I)7ES which would be "cold", they're a beautiful plug. Might check www.carreview.com for customer reviews of the SCI...I'm a satisfied customer. Happy huntin
Old 10-03-2003, 08:30 PM
alllooksnnogo

gezzz...thanks again jonjon for the help
Old 10-05-2003, 07:42 PM
alllooksnnogo

So what gap do I need boys?? I'm having trouble figuring this one out. Is it the same gap as an SIR??? ...I dunno
Old 10-06-2003, 05:24 AM
jonjon

Originally posted by alllooksnnogo
one more thing. If I get an MSD ignition kit I'm going to have to change the distributer cap right?? Are the wires for a GSR/ITR the same as the ones for the B16? If so then I believe that I will need an MSD kit for an integra because of my distributer. The necessary cap for my dist.. is from an integra. (p73) help!!!

Sorry for all the questions at once here but I have to change those plugs/wires soon.

thanks guys

matt
You can actually keep you current distributor cap, you'll just have to do some drilling since you'll be goin external for the coil. Go for the wires that are engine specific. And about the gapping:

the specific plug you order for you engine will most likely be pre-gapped. And the 0.4mm you refer to a couple posts up refers to the electrode itself, if that was the gap itself it would be completely non-functional. Just ask questions when you go to buy your shit, you'll be taken care of.:thumbup:
Old 10-07-2003, 06:15 PM
alllooksnnogo

haha...thanks jonjon!! Can you tell I know jack about plugs....lol....I'm still doing some research but I definately appriciate the help you've given me bro. I purchased some NGK iridiums today. I installed them before driving home 300km. I found acceleration to be very smooth and the car started a little easier. I'm happy They seem to be working very well. I'm still looking into what I want to buy for wires but I decide soon
Old 10-08-2003, 04:10 PM
YeaItsAFourDoor
..::-Free your mind-::..

Stock wires work well.