Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Engine And Radiator Problem

Old 10-03-2003, 02:27 PM
jdiddy2k4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine And Radiator Problem

Hey, I was in the car with my friend. It is a 94 honda accord lx just like mine. Anyway, we were in austin and all of a sudden the check engine light comes on. We are getting off at the exit to pull over to the gas station and next thing you know the low oil pressure light comes and and the car is losing power quickly. We make it to the gas station about 1-2 minutes after the engine light comes on and as soon as we come to a stop at the station the engine cuts off. As soon as we open the hood, we instantly notice that the radiator hose had blown off and all of the coolant in the radiator had sprayed everywhere. The story on his car is that a mechanic did some engine work and radiator work last week. Everything was working great until the hose blew off somehow (Mechanic probably didn't seal/clamp the hose good enough). My question to the HAN members is if the temperature gauge had anything to do with why the radiator hose blew off and the engine overheated. My friend said that the mechanic had told him that the temp gauge didn't work which caused the hose to blow off and the engine to overheat. Sounds to me like the mechanic screwed up and is trying to find every excuse possible to get around him being at fault.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:13 PM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

I don't see how a temp gauge would cause any problem except for not being informed of the temps in your motor. The gauge is just a reporting device it doesn't actually control anything.

Maybe his thermostat is stuck or something like that but I don't think that will blow a hose. It sounds like the would-be mechanic didn't seat the hose completely or fasten the hose clamp.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:46 PM
jdiddy2k4

Yeah I just got off the phone with Honda Service Person and he said that the mechanic didn't know what he was doing. So now it has to get it towed back to the same mechanic which sucks. He also screwed up on something else because all the fluids in the car are completely gone. Radiator is empty AFTER refilling it with 50/50 collant/water, transmission fluid real low, oil low. Sounds like a lawsuit to me. A completely good car messed up.