Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

My stupid questions for the pros....

Old 10-02-2003, 11:28 PM
EGteknikhatch
Team Teknik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My stupid questions for the pros....

92 CX hatch, i will be purchasing a gsr motor....soon...

what will i need to buy...i think that i will be buying it from hmotorsonline on there it says it needs axles, shift linkage, and mounts...

axles: do i need special axles to fit in my hatch? What axles do i need to buy?

shift linkage will be the same between the gsr and the hatch right?

mounts: do i need to get new mounts of can i use the stock ones i have, i know i should buy them, but what is the reality?

obd1/2: if i get a 94-95 gsr motor, do i need to worry bout this stuff?

i think thats all...anything else you can think of let me know...please?!?!?!:thumbup:

oh yeah...almost forgot....the catalytic convertor to...whats the best way to do that? and do i need to buy a header as well?
Old 10-03-2003, 10:21 AM
egzivic

You will need new shift linkage. Search and there are posts on which linkage would work. B16A uses 91 teg linkage. Axles should be the same ones for that motor. You will need the intermediate shaft as well. I beleive you will need a rear mount bracket from a 99 SI. Search as I am sure the mount question has been asked and answered before. Wiring from you 92 CX would need VTEC solenoid, VTEC oil pressure, VTEC oil pressure ground, knock sensor and GSR butterfly valve (IAB?). Not difficult with the motor out just pull your stock harness and put it on the GSR motor and add the wires where they need to be. Then take the harness off, cut it open, insert the wires, tape it back up and reinstall it for a clean look. 94-95 is OBD1 and your 92 is OBD1, so no worries there. You should use a P72 ECU. Best to install the motor and see if the exhaust you have fits. If it doesn't fit drive to the closest muffler shop to have them make it fit. Motor should come with the stock header, but no telling what condition it will be in. Also check the TPS sensor when you get your motor. You might need a throttle cable as well, I used a 91 Integra for my B16.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:23 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you buy a "complete swap," from hmotors, it will come with every major part you need. You need all the parts that come with it, so why not just make it easy and buy it all at once.

most of the parts (axles, motor mounts, shift linkages, etc) will come from the donor teg.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:16 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Your'e in luck, 92 civics came pre-wired for vtec, buy you will still have to wire up IAB, and maybe knock sensor.

We just swapped a b18c in a civic that previously had a B18b, the throttle cable bracket was in the wrong orientation for the LS throttle cable, we fabricated something.

I think you need one different mount, from a B16 del sol, or civic SI, search for that elsewhere, good luck! :thumbup:

Here are some links, the swap stories appear to be ridiculously under-informitive: http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/5gtech/index.html

The site seems to think that you don't need to change the mounts... I dunno do the research.

-PHiZ