Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Trans tech: synchro lockout from cold stop

Old 10-01-2003, 01:49 PM
ChrisGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans tech: synchro lockout from cold stop

Not strictly Engine Tech, but hey, close enough.

GSR tranny is acting odd here. On getting into the car and starting it from a cold dead stop, it has recently become *very* hard to select a gear -- any gear.

Many manual-trans cars in my experience have had the same issue: where it is occasionally tough to engage the first-gear synchro from a dead stop. I usually just select second or reverse instead, and that squares things up to allow first to select properly, and vroom, off we go. Piece of cake.

In this case, I'll start the car, depress the clutch, and try for first. The linkage just stiffens up and won't allow the shifter to move into that position. Then I'll try second, and, weirdly, the *same* thing. In fact, yesterday, I worked through the entire pattern for a full minute and none of the gears would select! Finally it dropped into third and that loosened it up and let me get into first.

Once the car is moving from its dead stop, it's fine again, and at the first light or stop sign, first is easily selectable, no problem.

It's not cold here yet, 70F temperature, I have RedLine MTL synthetic in the trans, just topped it up, and the bushings aren't worn -- I just put in new urethane ones two months ago.

I'm totally baffled as to what could be causing this. Early warning sign?

CG
Old 10-01-2003, 01:58 PM
crxb16er

redline is a little too thick of an oil to be using u should really be using honda mtl. but its a common problem regardless if the pinion gears in ur tranny arent aligned then simply allow the clutch to rotate ever so slightly until u get it into gear, its a normal issue. and nothing to be concerned with. i strongly doubt its an early warning sign but i do not recommend redline due to its thickness which can cause bad things over time. i would recommend a 5-30w oil even in ur tranny.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:56 PM
ChrisGSR

Originally posted by crxb16er
redline is a little too thick of an oil to be using u should really be using honda mtl. but its a common problem regardless if the pinion gears in ur tranny arent aligned then simply allow the clutch to rotate ever so slightly until u get it into gear, its a normal issue. and nothing to be concerned with.
OK, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I'll keep an eye on it. It seems fine, no grinding or noise or anything, apart from the occasional reluctance to go into gear.

It's been a while since I converted from Honda MTL to RedLine, but I thought I did a viscosity comparison first, and they were pretty close. Also, when the RedLine first went in, there was a major reduction in shifting effort, especially when cold. That is, it felt lighter and less viscous than the MTL, rather than heavier.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:55 PM
qtiger

Hopefully, the Redline is the same viscosity as Honda MTF. They do make 70-90ws, though.

Do you have any trouble shifting while driving? Clutch slipping?