Notices

clutch probs that i can't figure out...help!!

Old 07-17-2002, 10:27 AM
abe
SLOW DOWN!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch probs that i can't figure out...help!!

ok, i've spent a great deal of time searching for the solution to this, but i haven't found anything that really helps me out w/my problem (so don't flame me ).

anyways, here's the deal. this problem only occurs after driving my car for a while (i.e. 10-15 minutes). what happens is that i get a loud creaking/groaning noise when i push in the clutch pedal. it is coming from somewhere in the engine bay. also, the pedal feel changes -- it gets harder to push, and is not smooth feeling like when the car is cold.

i've already changed out the slave & master cylinders, but that didn't do sh*t. it seems to me that something is heating something up, causing this annoyance (i must note that this problem started to happen after i took off the upper heatshield of my cat - damn noisy rattle) since it only starts to happen after driving around for a while.

the clutch still engages at the same point, there is no slippage, and it is still easy to move the shifter into every gear. also, there is no grinding.

what the hell is going on?? i've already spent over 300 bucks, (doh!) and i don't want to drop the tranny, only to have this problem come back again!! any feedback is much appreciated!!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:43 AM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

It could be your throw out bearing. It may be worn, but if your clutch is engaging fine, and all. I don't know how it could be the throw out bearing at that point.

I had a similar problem like yours; but it was not related to my clutch, and I heard no weird noises using my clutch. It turned out to be my wheel bearing. I doubt that is your problem either.

Try to idle the car for 15 mins, and see if the noise comes back, and have you head in the engine bay to see if perhaps you can locate exactly where the noise is coming from.

Sorry not being much help here........
-----
Old 07-17-2002, 12:45 PM
abe
SLOW DOWN!!!

Originally posted by Bumnah
It could be your throw out bearing. It may be worn, but if your clutch is engaging fine, and all. I don't know how it could be the throw out bearing at that point. Sorry not being much help here........
hey, thanks...any feedback is appreciated. i'm pretty sure that it isn't the throwout bearing, since it doesn't make any noise when the clutch is not being pressed in and out.

clutch fork possibly??
Old 07-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Daniel

It could be that either the clutch fork, driveshaft, or throwout bearing are not properly lubed. This would involve pulling the transmission, but the symptoms tell me something is either not greased or not properly greased enough.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:23 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

Originally posted by abe

hey, thanks...any feedback is appreciated. i'm pretty sure that it isn't the throwout bearing, since it doesn't make any noise when the clutch is not being pressed in and out.

clutch fork possibly??

even if it the clutch fork, might as well change the throw out bearing..

when i put my bearing in. i gerry curled the bearing with grease.
-----
Old 07-17-2002, 02:11 PM
Chrgsr96
~~~~~~~~~

i get the same creeaaking noise when i push the cluth pedal in as well...but my car can be off and just sitting there not warmed or nething and i push the pedal and it creaks. i'm really not worried about it unless its gonna end up being something critical.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:15 PM
Daniel

Originally posted by Chrgsr96
i get the same creeaaking noise when i push the cluth pedal in as well...but my car can be off and just sitting there not warmed or nething and i push the pedal and it creaks. i'm really not worried about it unless its gonna end up being something critical.
Yours sounds like a leaky clutch master cylinder. Check on both sides of the firewall where the clutch ms goes through for leakages. Replacing is a 20 minute job.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:36 PM
Chrgsr96
~~~~~~~~~

k i know where the firewall is but not the clutch ms. If you can gimme more info on this that'd be great. And what do i do to fix it?
thanx
Old 07-17-2002, 08:03 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

clutch master cylinder is the small thing next to the brake master cylinder/booster(where you put brake fluid in to). it looks simliar to the brake master cylinder, it's just smaller.

brake master cylinder is connected to the brake pedal.
the clutch on is connected to the.......... clutch
-----
Old 07-18-2002, 06:25 AM
Daniel

Get in the driver-side footwell, and follow the clutch up to where it goes through the firewall. On the other side of that is the clutch master cylinder. You'll probably find liquid leaking on the inside, and possibly outside as well.