Notices

Not enough light on the road!

Old 09-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Spood
Sucka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enough light on the road!

Ok...my headlights are teh suck. I would like to to either replace them or augment them with driving/fog lights. Yes, I DID SEARCH already, but couldn't find much as far as a definitive answer. And, yes they are aimed correctly. The general opinion seems to be that HID's are swell, but that option is out for lack of money. Projectors generally were mentioned negatively. There was like, one person that liked their projectors and thought that they actually put out more light than stock. I saw some mention of modding the projectors with HID bulbs(?), but I don't have the time to do that. SO, what I'm wondering is:

1) Are there any stock replacement bulbs that are really swell?

2) I really like the factory driving lights that fit in the pockets in the bumper, and they are reasonably priced for the entire kit to install them, but do they put out a worthwhile amount of light?
2a) I have seen some negative comments about Procarparts.com, where I found the kit. Does anyone know where I can find them for a comparable price from a better website?
2b) There is also an 'Ion Blue' variation of the factory lights...better? Cooler?

3) Do projectors really suck that much, or is there a particular manufacturer that makes really super nice ones?

4) Are there any other complete headlight replacement options other than HID's or projectors?

Thanks!
(Sorry for the long post!)
Old 09-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) I'd say go for some mildly higher wattage bulbs. Stock is 55, maybe the slightly higher wattage would provide a little more light.

2) Those driving lights are not much bright, if anything, I say go for a PIAA or HELLA driving light kit. Those are REALLY good.

2a) I've dealt with ProCarParts. Never had a problem with my orders, but some of their salesmen are rude.

3) The Projectors from those cheap "Denji, APC, TYC, etc" are junk. You'd want REAL HID projectors from an Audi, BMW, etc if you choose to use HID's in projectors.

4) Your only options is Halogen or Xenon... Since xenon's are illegal and you mentiond you don't have the time, I say just pick up a pair of PIAA driving lights.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 09-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Spood
Sucka

Hmmm...ok

Does PIAA or any other reputable (read: quality) company make driving lights that will fit in the oem location? Being in Minnesota, metal things not protected (in this case, by being in the bumper) tend to rust very quickly.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:55 AM
BC
BabyCakes

Originally posted by MaxBoosT

4) Your only options is Halogen or Xenon... Since xenon's are illegal and you mentiond you don't have the time, I say just pick up a pair of PIAA driving lights.
maybe im stupid, but if i remember correctly, my 03 cl had xenon headlights (feel free to correct me.)

right now on my benz i have H.I.D lights and they light up everything. i dunno if you can even oder those tho..sorry..
Old 09-29-2003, 12:23 PM
crucial Si
Banned

HIDs own everything.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:40 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by BC
maybe im stupid, but if i remember correctly, my 03 cl had xenon headlights (feel free to correct me.)

right now on my benz i have H.I.D lights and they light up everything. i dunno if you can even oder those tho..sorry..
You're not stupid, 03 CL's and TL's had Xenon's. They are OEM... but I have met a few people still get tickets for them, but had them dismissed in court. Aftermarket HID kits have always been illegal.

You can order the Benz oem HID's... but you'll most likely be paying WELL over $600.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 09-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Spood
Sucka

Side note: I'm not terribly concerned with how cool the lights are appearance-wise, I just hate how driving in the rain at night, I can't see sh!t!

So, Xenon bulbs are illegal in all 50 states as an aftermarket item?
Old 09-29-2003, 02:27 PM
VTEC

HID retrofits are illegal. Refer to them as HIDs, not as Xenons as even some halogens contain small amounts of Xenon.

Now, here are some questions you need to ask yourself.

Is legality an issue with you?

What is more important: Visibility? Or looks (cool factor)?

Here is my recommendation for a legal and superior-to-stock light output.

For the headlights use one of those "30%" bulbs from reputable companies like GE, Philips, and Sylvania. The packaging usually has something like "Higher output" or "30% brighter and whiter" etc. The bulb capsule is clear, and the colour temperature is only about 50k whiter so you probably won't see a difference in colour. There is no blue tint to subtract from the total lumens output. These bulbs are stock 60/55w. They emit a higher lumens output because of a different gas mixture and a tighter filament wind. You don't get something for nothing though...the drawback is bulb life equal to or slightly less than stock.

For the OEM-style lights, there are two types of lenses. Driving lights (narrower beam) and fog lights (wider but shorter beam pattern). You can determine what you have by the vertical ridges on the lens. If you have only a few ridges, then those are driving lights. For the bulb, use a normal 55w H3 bulb.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:48 PM
oc_civic
mcc racing

hella ion yellow work GREAT in the rain...
Old 09-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Wharbone

I've heard good things about sylvania silverstars, but I don't have any experience with them myself.