Notices

Question on Cam Gears & other performance "dress ups"

Old 07-17-2002, 08:10 AM
insnimprtguy
Honda's will never die!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Cam Gears & other performance "dress ups"

How much power have people seen or gotten (dyno proven please) when putting cam gears on their stock car (or at least stock cams) and tuned them?

Also, (dyno proven again please), how much power has been shown to b gained from a pulley kit on a stock motor? as in a non-built up motor, not a fully nothing but stock motor, just one that's that heaviler modified.

Thanx,

Jay
Old 07-17-2002, 09:41 AM
dubcac
I

With stock cams you will be lucky to get any power out of cam gears, it's not worth it until you get bigger cams. Pulley kits you'll be lucky to get 2-3 hp out of them.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:55 AM
ISS Elite R
New Image PIMP

you're not gonna notice anything different if you have stock cams and get aftermarket cam gears...

need to get both.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:38 AM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually you still can benefit from cam gears on your stock cams. Back in the days when there weren't any reliable bigger cams, cam gears were the only way to get power out of this area, aside from headwork. If you can, an ITR cam (preferably a '00 model to do the bigger profile) will yield you some good power throughout the powerband. An average gain is in the neighborhood of 7-10hp sans cam gear tuning.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:11 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

From what I've heard so far, I don't think pulley kits are worth the $$$. If you have any upgrades that rely on extra electrical power (such as an audio system) I've heard that the pulleys will cause major headaches. Anyone else heard of similar problems?

I agree with the majority on the cam gears; they're fairly useless without larger/more aggressive cams.

Shingo
Old 07-17-2002, 12:15 PM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

I don't think those alt/PS pulleys mentioned eariler are ideal. Sure they can make a tad more power, but I would rather look into other avenues of upgrading. I don't like the fact the metal practically all the companies use to make these misc. pullies (most companies put more thought into cam gears) are much softer than OEM metal, thus wearing at a much faster rate.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:27 PM
insnimprtguy
Honda's will never die!

BTW-this is on a CTR motor, so what 'bout ur answers now? those cams r already pretty aggressive??

also, i've seen dyno charts sayin' as much as 4-8 whp off of AEM's pulley kit
Old 07-21-2002, 05:43 PM
dubcac
I

With CTR cams yes you can use cam gears to tune them and see nice gains.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:23 PM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Originally posted by insnimprtguy
BTW-this is on a CTR motor, so what 'bout ur answers now? those cams r already pretty aggressive??

also, i've seen dyno charts sayin' as much as 4-8 whp off of AEM's pulley kit
You can still yield extra power from cam tuning on the CTR motor. However since it's a pretty high compression motor that was designed to run on 100 octane, you may have to retard your timing a bit or start buying octane booster or even race gas.

I never said the PS/alt pulley set would not free up HP, I said I would just stick to the stock pulleys and save me the hassle when the aftermarket brands wear out. If you're so hell bent on wanting them, then go right ahead. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:52 AM
IntegraFreak

From what I was told, the only pulley worth getting is the Crank shaft pulley (5-8 hp) which will run you about 200$, don't get the whole kit of pulleys, the other two won't give you much (2-3 hp).

anyone care to comment?