Notices

How do you know if your headgasket is blown?

Old 07-16-2002, 10:11 PM
maxrpm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know if your headgasket is blown?

What is the types of sign, that will tell meif I have a bad Hg. I think mine is blown.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:52 AM
reno96teg

coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant.

do a compression test as well. typically, if a head gasket is blown between adjacent cylinders, the compression will be the same for those two (same, as in, low results, but equal to each other).

example: if you get the following results.. 180, 160, 160, 180.. the middle two cylinders possibly have the head gasket damaged between them. this is also assuming that you don't have worse problems, like worn rings.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:55 AM
thx247

compression test, the oil in the coolant/coolant in oil thing. If the car over heats quickly or when you pull the radiator cap off on starting the car water comes flying out (big stream). If there are bubbles when you stop the car in the overflow tank....thats all i know
Old 07-17-2002, 09:35 AM
maxrpm

here is what i know so far, before i changed the head gasket the water would flow into the overflow tank but not return. There seemed to be that the oil was kind of milky brown(couldn't real tell just had water no coolant). My temp gauge is close to the half way mark. The temp reached the H once. I also don't see white smoke coming from the back when the oil look like milky brown.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:58 PM
thx247

white smoke is when your burning coolant i believe. The oil should never look milky brown, it should look like oil, and later on...dirty oil =)

Is your coolant level going down constantly? With the oil being a mikly color it sounds like its mixing with the coolant. Does the oil taste sweet?
Old 07-17-2002, 02:37 PM
pomansouth

put it this way if you got a milky anything then you got water in it because the milkyness comes from little bitty bubbles of water
Old 07-17-2002, 04:47 PM
juiceweazel
Mobfather of all

that's on your intake side, i had my lumina blow a head gasket & head in the exhaust side & oil was leaking into the radiator.
not a fun date
good luck man
Old 07-17-2002, 09:50 PM
maxrpm

well, i changed headgasket bought a crv headgasket. I think that when i had the motor rebuilt to 84mm they used a b18b1 and enlarged the the cylinder holes. The car with the old hg would send my coolant into the overflow tank but wouldn't return. I had to fill my radiator but its also cause the water in the overflow didn't go back to the radiator. I also was having high pressure in the radiator and my need was closeto H even with the fan running all the time(made a switch). With the new gasket the water doesn't over flow to the tank. I haven't checked my oil to see if its milky brown. I still have high pressure in the radiator but i think its because of the 11:1 pistons. I went ahead and order a fluidyne radiator which should be here thurs. I already had to fix my radiator with jb weld twice. Thanks for your info. Any more comments is welcomed on my engine problems.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:16 PM
bret
my hood fits like shit

could be any sign id mostly look for white smoke, mines smoking white, mines blown. Just dont let coolant get into oil or your really in trouble
Old 02-25-2003, 06:00 PM
civicon19s

Hey!! I have been having similar problems with my B17a... Ive noticed the coolant rapidly fills the resevoir and will NOT return. ALSO, i can go 2 days without driving the car and then open the hood. When i pull off the radiator cap, it STILL has pressure in it! One more thing is that i keep adding brand new coolant and when i go to pour out the resevoir, there is milky blackish brown crap on the bottom of the tank. So tell me, am i screwed?? Thanks

Quick Reply: How do you know if your headgasket is blown?