Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Trouble getting crankshaft out of d15b2

Old 09-26-2003, 12:17 PM
mishima_beef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble getting crankshaft out of d15b2

the engine we are taking apart in my auto class is basically stripped entirely.. cant seem to get the crankshaft out of the block tho.. at the front of the engine.. (side of the flywheel) there is something holding it in.. we used a philips to unscrew 2 screws but there seems to be something else.. anyone know?
Old 09-26-2003, 02:34 PM
AwwsChwA

It's probably Honda-Bond. When I disassembled my D16A6, I had to knock the rear main seal ring and the oil pump off of the block with a deadblow hammer. There aren't any hidden screws once the engine is stripped down to the bare block, so just make sure you've got all the bolts, hold a piece of wood against the inside surface of whatever's around the crank (sounds liek you're talking about the rear main seal ring), and hit it with a deadblow hammer or a rubber mallet. That should pop it loose.

Oh, and the flywheel side of an engine is generally referred to as the rear side, not the front. The front side is the timing belt side.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:49 PM
mishima_beef

first: im a damn idiot.. sorry im talking about the side WITHOUT the flywheel.. for some dumbass reason i thought the flywheel came from that side when i distinctly remember unbolting it from the other side.. heh i guess all that moving the block around to wash it and move it from place to place and spinning it and turning it over.. got me messed

second: yes it did look like something was holding the front in.. honda bond? is there any way to own this with a chemical? or is force with a hammer the best option

third: i hammered out the rear of the engine and it went fairly easily .. the front we are struggling on..

thanks
Old 09-27-2003, 06:56 AM
AwwsChwA

I would not advise using any chemical strong enough to dissolve Honda-Bond on an aluminum engine block...heh. Anything that potent could dissolve the aluminum along with the silicon. You shouldn't have to use extreme force with the hammer, just a couple good knocks. Like the same way you got the rear seal off the block.

I'm trying to think what all attaches to the front of the block around the crank. Do you have the crank pulley off? That's a key thing. When I took mine apart, I wasn't able to remove the pulley (stupid crank nut), so what I did was knock the rear seal off, and then tilt the back of the crankshaft upward a little bit to help twist the oil pump loose. That gave the oil pump enough space to get the dowel pins out. Obviously I had the crankshaft main bearing caps taken out when I did this.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:52 AM
mishima_beef

yeah have the crank pulley off.. needed an air gun to do it.. some poor guy was crouching.. working to get the crank pully off the engine (engine is on a table) and he pryed it off with a screwdriver.. it fell and chipped his tooth.. poor guy.. crouching while working on an engine :ugh:

anyways.. i guess ill try to get it off with a few knocks.. but there is this thing that we pulled 2 screws out of seems like there is another screw but cant get to it.. maybe we dont have to take that off to get the crank off.. i dunno but its on the front of the block..