Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Pistons for B16A2

Old 09-25-2003, 04:27 PM
SRD_DC2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pistons for B16A2

My freind has a b16A2 and was trying to swap his stock pistons for DC2 Type R pistons(stock). He said the pistons would not fit to the connecting rods, meaning on the rod the where the pin goes through is too thin. He thinks he has to machine it. Anyone have a solution to this? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:10 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

There was a graphic somewhere describing what needs to be done, let me see if I can find it.

I think you need to remove 1 mm of material from either side of the rod on the surface around the wrist pin.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:23 PM
qtiger

Is your friend aware that he will actually be lowering his compression ratio with Integra Type R pistons?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:22 AM
SRD_DC2

Sorry, forgot to mention that these are JDM ITR pistons. But would this still lower the compression ratio? If so, how? From what i understand, the compression ratio for the ITR is 11.1. Also one quick question, would there be any clearance probelms? thnks again.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:38 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

The compression ratio of a motor is determined by more than its pistons. It depends on bore/stroke, cylinder head volume, piston dome displacement, headgasket thickness, and piston-to-deck height. Putting the pistons from engine x into engine y does not automatically give engine y the same CR as engine x.

Stock CR in a USDM B16 is 10.2 and JDM is 10.4. Putting JDM ITR pistons into a B16 will yield a decrease in CR by of about 0.01. If you want to increase CR you can go with CTR pistons which will bring you up to about 10.8. If you want any more of a bump then you need something aftermarket or a thinner headgasket.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:08 PM
SRD_DC2

Thanks for the info! My friend just sent the rods/pistons to the machine shop, but luckily they didnt start and he cancelled. Appreciate it! He has decided to go w/CTR pistons. He wants to know what you would recommend doing next for his motor, I know this is a broad question, but maybe some advice is what he is looking for. Basically, he has a JDM B16A2, changed the camshaft(intake) to CTR, and all valve springs to "dual". Now he is planning in putting in CTR pistons, but leaving the head gasket stock. Also has I/H/E and MSD Ignition. His goal is to go all N/A. If there is anything you suggest he should do or that "needs" to be done, would grealy appreciate it. Again, thanks alot for your help and I know this question is very broad.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:49 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Well, I'd say with the CTR pistons and intake cam he'll put maybe 150-160 to the wheels.

If you want to build a sick B16 it takes aftermarket cams, CR of at least 11.5:1, headwork, a nice free-flowing exhaust (i.e. 2.5" from the header collector back) and some dyno tuning. But that's the big bucks.

What type of whp numbers is he looking to produce and for how much money?
Old 09-28-2003, 05:03 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
There was a graphic somewhere describing what needs to be done, let me see if I can find it.

I think you need to remove 1 mm of material from either side of the rod on the surface around the wrist pin.
found it:

Old 09-30-2003, 03:01 PM
SRD_DC2

Thanks for the help, and nice diagram...where did you get that from? The drawing seems very detailed.