Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Big Injectors

Old 09-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Nelziq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Injectors

My some of my injectors are acting screwy. I want to replace them but I will probably be installing a turbo in the next 6 months so I dont want to have to replace them yet again with big injectors. Would it harm anything to just install the big injectors now or would the ecu not be able to adjust and just wind up running rich?? Basically is it okay to run big injectors on a stock B18B for the short term (couple months).

Also, are aftermarket injectors (i think venom makes some) better than the stock DSM injectors?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:14 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Typical injector flow-rate for a turbocharged application is either 440 cc/min RC or 450 cc/min DSM. Stock injectors are 240 cc/min.

The ECU operates on the assumption that you are running 240 cc/min injectors. Injector duty cycle is determined by RPM, TPS value, MAP sensor value and not much else. Basically if you swap the stockers out for the high flow ones without doing anything to compensate, you will run almost double the fuel you need at all times.

DSM injectors are cheap but noisy and you would do best to have them cleaned/flow balanced before installing them. Brand new RC injectors will be more expensive and you know they're good. Either will make your car run fine (with the turbo and some tuning), it's a matter of which one you want to run.

What do you mean by your stock injectors are "acting screwy"?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Nelziq

Apparently (so sez the shop that installed my motor) they spurt or sputter or sometime dont squirt. Basically they arent always spraying like they should. Is it possible to clean and/or service them somehow?

The net effect of all this is that it idles really rough but under throttle it runs perfectly fine.

Could there be another cause for this? (I changed the O2 sensor but this didnt seem to help much)