Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

eng. coolant temp sensor

Old 09-22-2003, 06:16 PM
sick79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eng. coolant temp sensor

i have a 96 prelude s. i went through some overheating issues before, which i posted in the lude forum. n e ways, i only have a suck ass chilton manual,(dont have money to go buy a helms right now) and i need to check the ohm resistance on my engine coolant temp. sensor. the picture they give shows that the sensor is on the upper radiator hose knuckle, but they say that the sensor is located on the thermostat housing, which is towards the back of the block, under the distributor. the only reason why i am even posting this is because both of the knuckles have sensors in them w/green harness plugs. if anyone knows for sure which sensor is the eng. coolant temp. sensor, i would really appreiciate the help. thanks. i checked the resistance on the front sensor which registered 0, so i know its bad, i just want to make sure its what i think it is. thanks again.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:49 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know they changed them around from year-to-year, and I don't even have a Prelude....

On both our '95 Integra and '98 Accord, the one on the thermostat housing (lower radiator hose), is the fan switch. It'll either read open (cold) or short (hot). The ECT sensor looks the same, but it's on the nozzle for the UPPER radiator hose.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:46 AM
sick79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, the book i have shows the ect sensor to be on the upper radiator hose knuckle too, i just wanted to be 100% sure. thanks.