Notices

skunk2 short shifter problems

Old 07-16-2002, 10:49 AM
acuradriva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skunk2 short shifter problems

I installed a B&M short shifter in my GS-R and it rattled. i found out 99% of people with that shifter had the same problem. so i get a skunk2 shifter. well the stock shift knob doesn't fit. I was pissed at that because i thought skunk2 made it so only the skunk2 knob will fit. so i order it anyways. and it finally gets here and it doesn't fit right either. so i call up the place where i bought it to see what's up. and they say they get a call about that alot. after skunk makes the threads they spray a coating over the whole thing. so they say it will fit i just have toi get the knob on once it it will go off and on all day. so i try that it goes down a little and won't move anymore. so i try to back it off and it won't come off either. thats where i am now and oh yea the skunk2 shifter rattles too not as loud but it still does. **** B&M and **** skunk2 :madfawk:
Old 07-16-2002, 10:56 AM
[HrZn]4life

As far as my experience goes with short shifters, it seems like all after market shifters rattle....it just sucks.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:11 AM
DrugTeg

Sparco shift knobs will fit...atleast mine does...i just put mine in and it doesnt rattle at all...altho i took my heat shields off as well
Old 07-16-2002, 11:12 AM
[HrZn]4life

Most of them don't rattle for the first few months...my shifter started rattling after about 4 months
Old 07-16-2002, 12:04 PM
kris79
Owner of CEmotorsports

who is installing these shifters for you? i installed mine with neuspeed bushings and they never made any noise.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:21 PM
[HrZn]4life

I believe it is caused by bad bushings
Old 07-16-2002, 12:24 PM
LRGsR

I also have a Skunk2 shifter. I also had the problem with my shift knob not fitting on the shifter. I have the skunk2 shift knob as well. I thought the shiftknob would be a perfect fit with the shifter, since they are from the same company, but it didnt fit. I called the place where i bought the shift knob from and they said the same thing about the coating that acuradriva had mentioned. They told me to put a little muscle into it and it should fit. After doing that, i decided that coating the thread on my shifter and my shiftknob with some grease should make it easier to screw the shiftknob on. It worked. So i suggest if you are unable to screw the shift knob on, put some grease on the thread of the shifter and shiftknob, and it should fit.

Last edited by LRGsR; 07-16-2002 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:51 PM
acuradriva

i got the shift knob off. my brother and dad are machinists so my brother is gonna bring home a tool and rethread it to the right size.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:07 PM
kfar09

i installed the skunk2 short shifter w a friend and it doesn't rattle at all.. i also have the skunk2 shift knob and this is what i did to get it on. at first it wouldn't go so i tightened it down til it stopped and then backed it off and i kept on doing this pushing it down a little bit further and finally it went on all the way. just try working with it
Old 07-16-2002, 07:37 PM
pomansouth

or put paint remover on a rag and just take the coat that they put on the shifter off of it and put the knob on the easy way

Quick Reply: skunk2 short shifter problems