Notices

Sylvania Cool Blues or Silverstars??

Old 07-16-2002, 10:12 AM
Osman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sylvania Cool Blues or Silverstars??

hey guys. I was reading up in the forum about the 9005 conversion and was just wondering which bulb you guys thought was better. Also...I went to the link that someone posted up on how to do the conversion and it had instructions for a bmw. Are they the same for the teg? Do you have to re-aim the headlights after the bulbs are installed? Lastly...do the bulbs burn too hot since they are high beams and could this cause any damage?

thanks a lot for all your help!
Old 07-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Meguel24
Platinum Plus Member

I think you should re-aim just to be sure you are getting the best performance from your headlights, I know I had to even after lowering the car. But I think you should stop spending $50 on bulbs that dont last. I have bought close to $250 worth of cheap HID immitation bulbs. I said no more and bought the real HID's and love them, AND no need to do the 9005 conversion.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:05 PM
Jngrbrdman
Obsessed

The Silverstars are better but they cost twice as much. I don't think they are twice as good as the Cool Blues, but I do feel that they are worth the money.

Let's see... 50 bucks for a set of bulbs that will last at least a year (probably much longer, but we'll use a year as a working number). HIDs cost like 300 - 400 bucks. That means that you would have to go through a set of bulbs per year for about 8 years before you spent the dough for a good HID kit. How many of us have had our car for 8 years? Not that HIDs aren't a good investment or anything like that. They are great. I'm saving up for another set myself. I'm just saying that unless you plan on keeping your car forever then you are better off buying bulbs if you are concerned about cost.

The instructions are the same for tegs. Just carve em up and plug em in. No re-aiming is required. Its a 3 minute mod that can be done for as little as $12 bucks a side (if you go with the Cool Blues). I think the Cool Blues are great bulbs to start with. If you've got the money to do Silverstars then go with them.

Maybe you want to start with the Cool Blues to see if its really what you want. If you don't like em then you can move them over to your high beams and go get the Silverstars. Not a total loss. That thread is pretty informative. I'd just say go through and read the posts. I'm sure that its as complete as it can be.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:20 PM
Meguel24
Platinum Plus Member

$250 total is 5 pairs when costing $50. I have not seen the bulbs last a year, but then again I have not used them for the last 18-20 months, since I bought the HID's. Maybe they are making them better now. I had extra money from a tax return and wanted to splurge a bit. Some might not be able to afford them. I also didn't by them for looks (to have the blue look), I got them for their functionality purposes. To each his own
Old 07-16-2002, 12:32 PM
Jngrbrdman
Obsessed

$250 isn't the price I was working with when doing the math. You can get and HID kit for that but if you are going to spend the money on it then you might as well get the best. HIDs would be closer to 300 or 400 bucks.

My Cool Blues lasted a full year before the left one blew. The right one is still going strong.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Meguel24
Platinum Plus Member

Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
My Cool Blues lasted a full year before the left one blew. The right one is still going strong.
Tight!
Old 07-16-2002, 02:53 PM
chicagovelocity
raw dawgin'

Read this thread... if you haven't already..

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...&threadid=5671
Old 07-16-2002, 03:46 PM
rtzx9r

I had the cool blues in my 98. I doubled up the o-rings and made sure everything was sealed. Problem was, 6 months later I had water in 1 housing. Had that replaced under warranty, and a few months later the other one did the same thing. Again warranty, but that extra light is not worth the trouble.

GEt the OEM foglights and be done with it.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:10 PM
Kaiz

Default Re: Sylvania Cool Blues or Silverstars??

Originally posted by Osman
hey guys. I was reading up in the forum about the 9005 conversion and was just wondering which bulb you guys thought was better. Also...I went to the link that someone posted up on how to do the conversion and it had instructions for a bmw. Are they the same for the teg? Do you have to re-aim the headlights after the bulbs are installed? Lastly...do the bulbs burn too hot since they are high beams and could this cause any damage?

thanks a lot for all your help!
I have the Silverstars in mine and they're awsome. The light is just a pure white. Of course, with the Cool Blues, they will probably look slightly more white since they have the blue coating, but I prefer the clear-white look.

I've had mine in for a month, and they do tend to get hot, but it hasn't caused me a problem yet. But then again, I'm not sure how hot the normal 9006 bulbs run, so...
Old 07-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Osman

Thanks a lot for all your help guys!! I'm gonna go with the Silverstars. One final question...do I have to be really careful not to touch the bulb...should I wear like latex gloves or something?

thanks again!

Quick Reply: Sylvania Cool Blues or Silverstars??