Notices

Help! Need remote programming instructions

Old 07-15-2002, 08:05 PM
yogi799

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Need remote programming instructions

Help! I need remote programming instructions. It is for a 96 Acura RL. It should be just a few steps to program the remote. I have searched everywhere and could not find those. HELP!

Thanks
Chris
Old 07-18-2002, 11:37 AM
1911mojo

Is this for the remote garage door opener?
Old 07-18-2002, 12:42 PM
yogi799

I hope you're just kidding me.... It is for a remote for the keyless entry for the RL.

Chris
Old 07-19-2002, 12:00 AM
EKY

Chris...1911mojo was referring to the Homelink system which is standard on the 99+ RL. It wasn't offered on the 96-98 RL's. As for your question...I don't know anything about it. Just try go down to your Acura dealer.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:42 AM
1911mojo

Thanks EKY.....
Old 07-19-2002, 05:48 AM
yogi799

OK guys, now I get it.
I tried the Dealer and they insist that they have to do it themselves (and you know what it means - $$$). I used to have an Infiniti J30 and programming is easy as 1-2-3 (although Infiniti dealer also wanted 40 bucks for ONE MINUTE worth of following simple instructions!!!) and the directions are available on the Internet and the J30 service manual. For some reason, they are not easily-obtainable for an RL, although I've heard that it is also some simple directions that anyone can do themselves.

Thanks guys, I'll keep waiting.
Chris
Old 07-30-2002, 06:39 PM
yogi799

That's kind of funny, but I will answer my own question...
I found the directions from some other sources (although NOT on the Internet) so I will share with you guys, or with whomever has the same problem I had with finding these.

This short info will cost you about $40.00 at your local dealership. What a ripoff!

TO PROGRAM YOUR REMOTE CONTROL KEY FOB FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE:
"Turn ignition to ON (without starting car) and within 5 seconds hit a button onthe remote. Turn back to off. Repeat 3 times. After third time you will hear the doors click. Hit remote once more to verify."
Old 05-13-2003, 12:24 PM
jgmoss

Default Programming Remote for 97 RL

Originally posted by yogi799
That's kind of funny, but I will answer my own question...
I found the directions from some other sources (although NOT on the Internet) so I will share with you guys, or with whomever has the same problem I had with finding these.

This short info will cost you about $40.00 at your local dealership. What a ripoff!

TO PROGRAM YOUR REMOTE CONTROL KEY FOB FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE:
"Turn ignition to ON (without starting car) and within 5 seconds hit a button onthe remote. Turn back to off. Repeat 3 times. After third time you will hear the doors click. Hit remote once more to verify."
Thanks for the instructions Yogi799. I tried to program a FOB for my 97 RL using your procedure, but it didn't work. Could you please restate the procedure with a little more detail? Or, maybe the procedure is different for different model years? At any rate, if you could lead me to your source for the answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:38 AM
jime

I have the Service & Part Bulletin. It is SB B97-040 for P/N 72147-SZ3-A01 used on 1996-98 RL

Notes: 1) Entering the programming mode cancels all learned transmitter codes, so none of the previously programmed transmitters will work. You must reprogram all the transmitters once you’re in programming mode. The system accepts up to three transmitters.
2) To keep the system from exiting the programming mode, complete each step within 5 seconds of the previous step, and program the transmitters within 10 seconds of each other.

Steps:
1) Turn the ignition switch ON (ll)
2) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on one of the transmitters. (A non-programmed transmitter can be used for this step.)
3) Turn the ignition switch OFF (0).
4) Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 two more times with the transmitter used in step 2.
5) Turn the ignition switch ON (ll).
6) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on the same transmitter. Check that the power door locks cycle to confirm that you are in the programming mode.
7) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on each transmitter. (You can program up to four transmitter per vehicle.) Check that the power door locks cycle after you push each transmitter button, confirming that the system has accepted the transmitter’s code.

I think the instructions are a bit confusing, but that’s what they say. I was successful in programming a remote with these instructions a couple of years ago.

jime
Old 05-14-2003, 10:03 AM
jgmoss

Thanks jime! I'll give it a try...

Quick Reply: Help! Need remote programming instructions