Notices

88 Acura Legend LS Coupe

Old 09-13-2003, 04:38 AM
grimskunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Acura Legend LS Coupe

This is a quiet forum... are the Legend series not very popular?

I've been wanting a new-used Acura for a month or two now. Hard to find anything in my price range... that i like though. But, I came across this 1988 Legend LS Coupe with 92k miles on it, that I really liked. I thought it had a really nice look to it, even though its 15 years old.

The price seems a bit high, $4k, but kbb value is $3500 or so.

What do you think? Too much for this car?

What do you think of this car in general? The black ones have a nice look to them... and from what I hear, they have a powerful engine, and will last forever.

What do you think would be a better Acura for $3-4k?

I've looked at some of the Integras.. they're ok, but I tend to want the GS(-R) models more than the others, and then the price jumps up to $8-9k pretty quickly.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:58 PM
Sweet88

I would have to say get the Legend. Need I say why???
Old 09-25-2003, 10:09 PM

I bought my 1988 Legend L for $500.00 and it is still running at 245,000 miles! The waterpump leaks and oil drips onto the exhaust but I still drive it about 30 miles a day and it has much power and life to offer even in the condition it is in. When buying any car used, be sure to take it on the freeway for some distance and then park it and look under the hood for noisy conditions. Look at the tach to see if the idle is rough and also look to see if it is leaking oil. Ask the person you are buying it from when the timing belt was changed (very important) Good Luck on your new car!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Beachballer83

I just got rid of a 1990 acura legend....don't get me wrong it's a great car and everything and has some good power, but there are virtually no mods that can really improve upon it. There are a few Legend enthusiast sights that provided a great deal of info on what you can do. As far as the price....an 88 legend shouldnt be more than $3k. I sold mine for that much which is below blue book just cuz i had been trying virtually all summer to get rid of it and i was happy to get a legit offer. Lastly, get a gen II legend, they look much better and there is more to offer for mods (imho).
Old 11-02-2003, 12:11 PM
grimskunk

Hey..

I found two legends, one a 88 coupe (94k miles), and the other a 95 sedan (112k miles).; both black, LS models.

I can't decide which to get.

Here's the deal:

A. Black 1988 LS coupe (much like sweet88's pic), 94k miles, $2600:
1. 2nd owner, young guy who's had a lot of work done on it. Has all records since he's had the car (57k->94k)
2. No mods; and he doesn't abuse the car.
3. It runs well, but it seems to shift a little hard between 1st and 2nd. Feels like something is grabbing and locking for a sec.. Hard to explain.
4. Interior/Exterior is a little rough.. some chips in the paint, but not too bad really.
5. He hasn't had the timing belt and water pump replaced since he's owned the car, so it probably has to be done ASAP.

B. Black 1995 LS sedan, 112k miles, $5000:
1. Interior/Exterior is a little rough. Mostly Exterior is the best.. just a few scratches, nothing bad; but the interior.. the leather is ok, but part of the console under the head unit is missing, the rear door speaker covers are missing, the gas and break pedal pads are missing, there's a tear in the front passanger door; the driver's side door panel is loose.
2. All electronics appear to be working.
3. Passanger-side wiper arm tends to get stuck on the glass.. maybe just needs new blades.
4. Engine seemed sound.. no weird noises or vibrations. No leaks, no rust in the engine compartment nor underneath the car.
5. Owner just replaced the tie rods and rotors.
6. This car (according to carfax) has been a few drivers/owners as well as 2 auctions and was finally donated to charity. (That's who I'm possibly buying it from). This worries me a bit.
7. There is no repair or service history.
8. There was a stereo setup at one time, but its all been ripped out. So the trunk's a mess, and I have feeling the driver likely pushed this car.. maybe abused it somewhat. There's big speakers in the back behind the seat. None of the speaker wiring is hooked up though.
9. Some of the trim around the controls is broken or missing: ex., the power seat "memory" controls: the trim around it is broken.
10. No floor mats.
11. There's 3 different types of tires on this car.

Basically, the engine seems good, but there's lots of interior problems.

So... what do you guys think?? Go with the possibly more reliable 88, or the mysterious 95?? The 95 seems a better deal in terms of selling price to nadaguide price (low retail is $8500).

I'd get the 95 without question, but my money is tight. I have $5000 to spend. If I get the 95 I have no money left for repairs etc, whereas the 88 leaves me some spare cash...

To further complicate matters.. I have a perfectly fine, reliable but boring 97 Accord LX sedan.. that I'll have to give up. The practical side of me says... why are you taking a risk on a new old car when you already have a reliable car? I must be sick! I can't help it: I just want a Legend.

Anyway.. any comments on these two cars?
Old 11-08-2003, 08:21 PM
grimskunk

Ah-well, nevermind. I passed on both.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:54 PM
TeggyTurbo

I've noticed also that the Legend board seems kinda quite... I guess this forum is more for the people that mod and performance tune cars like integra, civs, accords.. ect.

I've been serching for a good Legend for some time now after I bought my Integra and my mechanic told me I should have gotten a Legend. They are beautiful cars....

My opionion on the two: both seem too need some work and are questionable. 91-95s are the second gen Legends, the coups and the GS trim has 230hp. Look for one with a nice body, no rust ect... and check the service records especially when buying one with more milage.

Dont get those two, the 88 is over priced... keep looking.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:58 AM
grimskunk

Ya, I passed on them.

Although, the 88 LS coupe is now going for $2200 (and the guy put new brakes on it too).

Unfortunately, by the time I can afford a 6speed 95 Coupe they'll be 12 years old.

I still kind of want that 88.. just to have one, even if it only lasts me a couple more years. I really don't want to sink repair-money into a car though.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:00 PM
bigdawg

hey sweet 88! is your legend lowered? what size are your rims and tires?

thanks
bigdawg
Old 02-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Pimpin88,Legend

I got an 1988 Acura Legend LS from my sister's B/f for $100... took around $600-700 to safety and e-test and there I go... nice car.. what can I say I love the S3/S4 mode that i have it's automatic obviously.. I wish it was standard..