Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Help Car Won't Start!!

Old 09-12-2003, 10:54 PM
gen3hatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Car Won't Start!!

hi guys need some help/advice..i got home about 2 hours ago car was running fine...but when i went to go back out to start my car..no go....the battery is fine...all the lights and sounds work...i can hear the fuel pump turn on but the engine does not crank at all and there is not clicking sound like when the battery is out...my guess is the starter is out....its a 99 honda civic ex w/close to 70K mi on it...any other advice/suggestions????..THANKS
Old 09-13-2003, 09:21 AM
crxb16er

if the starter isnt turning at all then first check,
battery, wire going to the starter, wire connecting the starter to the wiring harness (which is what recognizes ur key turning the starter, if all of that is good then take a hammer and bang on the starter sylenoid, give it a good tap and see if it comes to life, this is how u know when the sylenoid is dying because itll randomly cut out and come to life with a good jolt. if that doesnt cut it then pull the starter and take it to any parts store and they can test it. but start simple, recheck ur battery and connections, make sure ur depressing the brake petal when ur trying to start it, if its an auto make sure its all the way in park, and even if u think it is jolt it into park (my gf has a car that sometimes wont recognize it until u slam the auto shifter up pretty hard) neways try that hope it works for u and if it doesnt then let me know, good luck
Old 09-13-2003, 10:47 PM
gen3hatch

this morning i decided one more time to try to see if it would start...and IT DID!....soo?..is this an indication the starter is going out or what??
Old 09-15-2003, 08:13 AM
91Accord
Huh???

It is possessed.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:55 AM
Civic Type Sev

Hey... I'm having the exact same problem with my car. I've checked everything and everything is fine except for the solenoid. I opened up the solenoid and cleaned everything up. I noticed there was quite a bit of wear on the electrical contacts so I bent them up a bit and resurfaced the electrical connections with scotch-brite. I have yet to see if this worked. I'll test it tonight and if it works... I'll let you know.
Heck... I might even do a write up on how to do it if it works.