Notices

OPDS sensor false alarms 2003 3.2TL

Old 09-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Mike Bauer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPDS sensor false alarms 2003 3.2TL

I have 4K miles on my 2003 3.2 TL. The SRS indicator has come on four times, apparently falsely triggered by a laptop computer sitting in the front passenger seat. The dealer has replaced the OPDS sensor and pad but has advised me that there is no way to prevent the trigger other than to keep radiating electronic equipment out of the passenger seat. In fact the service bulletin they gave me says in part "... Some electrical appliances that plug into the vehicle's accessory power socket - especially those using a power inverter/converter - can interfere with the seat-back sensors and cause SRS TC 15-3 to set." This is precisely what is happenening to me although I am not powering the laptop from the accessory power socket. The bulletin goes on to say, "Advise him or her [your customer] to avoid using the appliance near the front passenger's seat-back." It also says the problem occurs in 1999-2003 models 3.5RL, 3.2TL, 3.2TL-S, 3.2CL, RSX and MDX.

It sounds to me that practically every vehicle Acura makes uses the same sensor and they are all susceptible to EMI from certain electronic devices (i.e. computers, cell phones, radio transmitters, etc.) If this problem has been identified in 1999 models and newer and there has been no attempt to develop a fix, obviously not enough owners have experienced the problem or complained about it. I like to use my laptop to operate a GPS receiver and think I ought to be able to do it without setting off a warning light (that can't be extinguished by the customer).

Has anybody had the same experience or am I the only lucky guy?
Old 09-13-2003, 03:47 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Hi Mike, welcome to the board. To tell you the truth, I've never heard of this before. I have a TL and a MDX, I just a radar detector in both and cellphone, but never a laptop. I also use a portable DVD player in the MDX and I never get the code you are talking about. Maybe it is just your luck.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Mike Bauer

Thanks for the feedback.

I use a Valentine One and have never had an interference problem, probably because in its normal position on the dash near the windscreen, it's too far from the OPDS sensor to bother the fault detector; or maybe the V-1 is well shielded in accordance with good engineering practice. My cell phone has never caused the false alarm either and it's designed to intentionally radiate rf energy, unlike the other "appliances" referred to in the service bulletin which in theory only radiate rf incidental to their primary functions. Most power inverters/converters generate lots of harmonic energy because of the square wave choppers usually employed, but why the OPDS sensor circuit should be particularly susceptible to my laptop is a mystery. The power level is surely small but if the computer is within one inch or so of the passenger seat-back (a position in which it unfortunately naturally tends to settle), it trips SRS-DTC 15-3 with annoying repeatability. Since I can't seem to get the OPDS components adequately shielded or bypassed for rf, guess I'll have to try shielding the computer!

Unfortunately, any experimentation I do that results in a 15-3 fault, requires a trip to the dealer for a reset - unless you know how I can perform the reset myself without a PGM tester or Autoprobe.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:49 AM
timothybeeler
acura tech

sorry mike as a acura tech there is no other way. the srs system is very picky and generic obd2 scanners can not clear the code. you might want to make sure there are efi filters installed on the power cables maybe this will help. Sorry but AHM does not design the vehicle to driven and be an office at the same time.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:43 PM
Mike Bauer

Thank you for your input. I appreciate the frank scoop. I don't personally consider using a GPS mapping program to be an "office" function when I'm driving but do understand what you mean about the vehicle not being specifically designed as a computer center. Unfortunately EMI filters on power cables do not apply in my case since I am not using "ANY" power cables connecting to the automobile's electrical system. I run the computer solely on its internal battery supply and my GPS receiver is powered directly from the laptop.

I haven't inspected the system inside the passenger seat but the service bulletin shows an OPDS unit cover. Is this cover metallic? Ah, plastic. I thought so. Any chance that if this is replaced with a metalic cover and grounded to the chassis the problem would vanish; or would a metallic shield add too much additional stray capacitance and screw up the SRS?

Obviously what you say is true: The SRS system is very picky. I'm wondering what will happen when I try to install my 2 meter (VHF) amateur radio transceiver in the vehicle. That's designed to radiate 40 watts at 145 mHz.....
Old 09-14-2003, 07:37 PM
timothybeeler
acura tech

If you wanted to you could remove the plastic cover and use trailer tape (adhesive tar with a aluminum outside) to line the cover this may help absorb the efi. the easest way to remove it is to move the pass. seat all the way back and (after removing the rear seat cover, pull at the bottom) and remove the armrest it is only 4 screws 2 under the felt inside and two under the wood pull up trim. peel the cover off the left side and you'll see it white plastic cover. you are going to need 3 seat clips before you start. cause you'll destory the old ones by pulling off the rear seat cover. the trialer tape may not work. the seat sensor is located in the foam of the seat this may be the part that picks up the efi. you seem to know alot about the curcuit so you know it is designed to detect a small person and disable the pass airbag. one suggestion may be to unplug the sensor all together from the opds unit. The unit shouldn't see a open but rathier no sitting in the seat. I don't think your radio will affect the curcuit since i haven't heard of cell phones, nextel nor cb's from truck drivers affecting the curcuit.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:56 PM
konastan

Default OPDS Unit location

I have a 2001 Honda Civic 2 Dr LX and need to replace the OPDS unit, but cant find it in my vehicle. Can some one assist me with this?
Please be specific.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:19 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by konastan
I have a 2001 Honda Civic 2 Dr LX and need to replace the OPDS unit, but cant find it in my vehicle. Can some one assist me with this?
Please be specific.
You should ask in the Civic forum.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:02 AM
VPUPPY

you create some sort of shied that you place on the seat before you place your lap top on it. i would take a guess that its the GPS system causing the increased EMI.