Notices

1987 Legend HELP

Old 09-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Rmcdev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Legend HELP

I have an 87 sedan. The front right wheel started making a scraping sound at any speed above 5. everybody was commenting wheel bearing, but i know how a wheel bearing sounds, and i also know the principle of the front wheel drive system so it couldnt be. I took the wheel off to find out that the brake pads were brand new, and rubbing on the rotor. I took them off, and lo and behold it stopped rubbing. i can probably figure that out. BUT i started the car (its a 5-speed) in neutral with both wheels of and the passenger side wheel started turning, and turned faster with higher rpms... this doesnt seem normal to me, as ive never seen this on a fwd manual car... anybody know anything about it?(the car is new to me, i bought it from a friend to replace my wrecked 95)
Old 09-13-2003, 08:33 PM
timothybeeler
acura tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is normal, your mt in neutral does allow some power to transfer to the wheels in neutral. See the gears inside of your transmission are always in mesh with each other when you select a gear the forks locks the selected gears together allowing power to transfer to the wheels. but in neutral, power is still entering the input shaft and though the 1st gear which free spins most of the power but some will transfer to the wheels and since you have one wheel (LF) on the ground all the power is transfered to the right wheel. I see this when I'm working on mt and the engine is running.