Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Problems starting in hot weather?

Old 08-30-2003, 12:40 PM
shawmutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems starting in hot weather?

I just wanted to share this with you guys (and girls), because I found the answer online and hopefully I'll be able to help someone who has the same problem.

My prelude was having problems starting on hot, humid days. It would crank fine, but never start. So I'd sit out in the car and sweat my nuts off for a few minutes and try again. It would also happen on short trips. It was embarrasing to say the least. I went through this for two summers, and then decided to do a search online to see if anyone else was having a problem.

It seems that Honda put the main relay under the dashboard, and when the interior gets hot, the relay sticks, and will not let the car start. This usually happens after 8-10 years according to the website I found. To verify this, I got in my car and turned it on (turned the key enough to turn on all the dash lights, but didn't crank it). The check engine like comes on, and when it goes off there should be a click. That's the main relay switching on. Well, at night when I tried it, there was a definite click. On a hot day, no click, and sure enough, it didn't start.

The part is called the "Main relay." For my car is cost $68 at the dealer. I cheated on the installation. Instead of trying to unbolt the whole housing from underneath the dashboard, I popped out the guts of the relay and popped in the new guts into the old housing. Took me all of 5 minutes. Hope this Helps!
Old 08-30-2003, 10:17 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can actually just take it apart, and resolder the connections, from what everyone says.

Thanks for helping out!

-PHiZ