Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Hard cold start prob....

Old 08-28-2003, 07:26 AM
danzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard cold start prob....

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone may know something I don't. My 86 LXi takes forever to start when cold and idles very rough until the temp gauge starts to move. Once warm it starts/runs as normal. I had someone tell me it may be the IAC? (Idle Air Control? - not sure) switch, the black two pin one that's mounted on the rear of the throttle body. How do I check this? I have a multimeter but don't know what the readings should be. Thanks in advance for any help, this really has me frustrated....

D
Old 09-05-2003, 04:00 AM
LSVTECKING
rebuilding

Do you have access to a code puller? If so see what codes the engine is throwing.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:39 AM
danzo

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a code puller (where to get? how much?) but there is no fault code being displayed as far as I can tell. Does something blink on the dash?

I think maybe the best thing may be to get a real factory manual that details how to diagnose these things.

Danny
Old 09-08-2003, 04:49 AM
LSVTECKING
rebuilding

Just because your check engine light doesn't come on and stay lit doesn't mean that the engine is not throwing codes. The ECU has the capability to store intermittent codes in memory without throwing the light. A scanner is the best way to get codes but they are expensive as hell. Best thing to do is to go to a shop and have them run a diagnostic test. Make sure they get the car cold so they can see the problem happen with the scanner hooked up.