Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Removing door handles, side moldings and mirrors?

Old 08-25-2003, 06:53 AM
lkailburn
college kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing door handles, side moldings and mirrors?

Hey everyone, so i went to spend the entire weekend paint the trim of my car(skirts, side moldings, door handles and mirrors). well, i ran into some trouble. I coudn't get the door handles off. I couldn't seperate the mirror from the housing, and i couldn't get the side moldings off. So the only thing i was able to paint was the skirts. On the mirrors, i got like all but 1 screw off, and it looks like that is the last screw that would need to be removed for every thing to come out, but it looks impossible to get to. Its behind the mirror and i can't get at it. With the door handles, i unscrewed the bolts(2), and saw that there were 2 rods connected to it. one for the lock, one for the door lever. well i couldn't detach either of those!? and with the moldings, i couldn't push the blue clips? any one, help and tips are needed
thanks
Old 08-28-2003, 10:42 PM
Toyz51

You will want to use two very small flat head screwdrivers to spread apart the plastic fastener to get the lock piece out. Once you get that piece off, the release is pretty easy to get off. The side mouldings can come off if you use pliers from the inside of the door by doing one at a time and have somebody gently pulling on the door to keep them from locking back in place.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:09 AM
lkailburn
college kid

hey thanks for the tip. i appreciate it
Old 08-29-2003, 06:51 AM
Wharbone

I would leave the mouldings on and just mask your car well.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:59 AM
lkailburn
college kid

ya i thought about doing that, it would make things really simple, but i'm so afraid of paint leaking through and junk. have you or anyone you know painted them still on the car? how did you cover the whole car(just tape and newspaper?)
Old 08-30-2003, 07:49 PM
R81Civic
I luv hot AZN gurls!

Newspaper, Garbage bags, whutever you feel like. Just do a really good job on doing it.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:43 AM
integradraggin

i would recommend to stay away from newspaper because paint will bleed through. the best thing to do is buy some nice masking tape or painters tape. tape the area around whatever you want to paint. get it straight as possible. go out and buy some vizqueen (sorry about the spelling) tape this to the tape you already laid down and you are ready to paint