Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Car Overheating, Suggestions?

Old 08-22-2003, 05:14 AM
SICRX89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Overheating, Suggestions?

MY B16 RECENTLY STARTED OVERHEATING IN MY CRX, HAVE DONE ALL THE NORMAL REPLACEMENTS, HOSES, CHANGED THERMOSTAT, WATER PUMP, RADIATOR AND CAP, COOLANT TEMP SENSOR, FAN STILL COMES ON, NO SMOKE, THERE HAS BEEN WATER COMING OUT OF THE OVERFILL A FEW TIMES, BASICALLY THE GAUGE IS GETTING HOT ONLY WHEN RAN REALLY HARD, THEN IT STARTS MOVING TO HOT BOUT 3/4 WAY UP(LIKE IVE READ BEFORE ON SOME OF THESE FORUMS)THEN WILL GO DOWN WHEN YOU STEP ON THE GAS(I GUESS CUZ MOVING MORE WATER THROUGH)BUT ANYWAYS RAN A COMPRESSION TEST AND THE NUMBERS WERE 175, 150, 150, 175. THE TWO IN THE MIDDLE HAD ME CONCERNED, ANY IDEAS? ITS A STRONG MOTOR, AND IT DYNO'D AT 135, BUT IF IM ONLY GETTING 150 IN TWO CYLINDERS I FIGURED SOMETHING WAS WRONG? WOULD IT BE THE HEAD GASKET? ANY IDEAS WILL HELP, IM QUICKLY RUNNING OUT OF THEM.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:54 PM
drift
Flaccid Member

sounds like you have crossflow between 2 and 3. is it drinking coolant?
Old 08-25-2003, 08:25 AM
SICRX89

nope not loosing much at all, the only coolant being lost is through the over fill, and that isn't much
Old 08-25-2003, 06:02 PM
drift
Flaccid Member

what radiator are you using? a civic half length or a full size?
Old 08-30-2003, 05:07 PM
civicon19s

It is combustion pressure entering the cooling system through a blown headgasket. I had the same problem with my b17.. if the overfill bottle is overfilling and theres a lot of foam in it, this is what i would suspect...
Old 08-31-2003, 04:35 AM
drift
Flaccid Member

Originally posted by SICRX89
nope not loosing much at all, the only coolant being lost is through the over fill, and that isn't much

the overfill is not a contained system. it takes in coolant when the engine is at full running temp, as the coolant expands. when cold, the coolant contracts, and gets sucked from the overfill back into the radiator.

so if you're losing coolant in the overfill bottle, that means you're losing coolant within the whole system.

considering the compression test results, you probably have a blown headgasket... Honda uses siamese cylinders, so you're not going to get a dramatic loss of coolant when you have a blown headgasket between 2 cylinders, as the leak point isnt across a cooling channel or between an oil and cooling channel, causing coolant loss into the lubricating system. sounds simply like a lightly blown headgasket between 2 cylinders.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:42 PM
SICRX89

TOOK THE HEAD OFF LAST WEEK, THERE WAS A SCORE IN THE HEAD, PRETTY CLOSE TO THE #4 CYLINDER, TOOK THE HEAD TO A MACHINE SHOP AND THEY GOT IT OUT FOR ME, I HOPE THIS WAS THE PROBLEM, HAVE 2 WAIT TILL MY TIMING BELT COMES IN FROM HONDA TO TELL FOR SURE THOUGH