Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

noob questions

Old 08-21-2003, 05:35 AM
Crazy_Phucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob questions

does getting new valve springs help a car rev higher?

whats a valve train?
Old 08-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Civic Type Sev

By new valve springs I assume you mean new stock replacement springs. And the answer to that is no it will not allow you to rev higher than the stock rev limit. To rev higher.. you will need stiffer springs and in most cases to make usable power at higher revs will require performance cams.
The valve train includes cams, valves, retainers, and valve springs.... basically everything relating to the valves.
Another important thing to consider if you want to rev higher is that you'll have to get rid of or raise your rev limiter. This can be achieved in many ways like chipping the ecu or using a stand alone system such as hondata, or AEM EMS etc...
Note that reving higher can be bad for a stock engine and I wouldn't recommend it unless you also have the crank and other rotating components balanced. Anyone have anything else to add???
Old 08-21-2003, 01:57 PM
drift
Flaccid Member

Honda balances their rotating assemblies to 10,000 rpm. i wouldnt worry about the block when raising the rev limit unless your motor has an undersquare rod/stroke ratio.

higher tension valve springs help prevent valve float... when the valve doesnt follow the cam, skipping off the lobe. this can cause valvecrash. it's due to the engine rpm exceeding the limits of the valve springs in use, or the cam lobe profile exceeding the valve springs if you have after market cams.

you want valves to snap back quickly, to follow the cam lobe and prevent valve crash. lightening the valve also helps, in combination with a tighter spring.