Notices

2000 civic trouble start...

Old 02-25-2012, 12:02 PM
ek9cusco
got milk?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 civic trouble start...

the worse thing happened yesterday. i haven't been driving my civic for a week and then when i try to crank it on friday morning for work, it wouldn't start.

usually if i hear a clicking sound, then i know the battery is dead, but the battery seem to be fine, alarm, radio, lights, etc all works fine.

when i turn it on friday morning, i hear it trying to start and then when i keep trying.. it just won't turn and then suddenly i hear a click and i had to turn the car off to try again. after that.. i never heard that click, but the car just won't crank.

so just now, i hooked my my accord to my civic trying to do a jump thinking it's the battery, but same thing.. it just keep cranking and won't start.

i'm starting to think the starter is shot. the battery checked out ok.. 12.6V.

if it's the starter, is it hard to do a DIY change?

i've never changed the spark plug, spark plug cables and assembly so could that be an issue as well? it's only got 85K miles and i drive it like a baby.. but i know she's getting up in her age..

Last edited by ek9cusco; 02-25-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Civic2Scooby

if it cranks it isn't the starter. main relay, ICM, or bad coil would be three things to check....are you sure it has gas? I mean there are lots of things that can cause a crank no start.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:36 PM
ek9cusco
got milk?

where's the main relay, ICM and bad coil at?

mine makes the same sound like this:

another thing i was thinking was i've been having some issues with my civic's original key alarm system from the dealership. my driver side door won't unlock when i unlock it from the remote. i had to unlock first and then use the key to open the door.

could that also cause it to crank but won't start? if so, any way to disable that as a process of elimination to find out the root cause?

Last edited by ek9cusco; 02-25-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by ek9cusco
where's the main relay, ICM and bad coil at?

mine makes the same sound like this: Civic 2000 won't start! Need help! Part 2 - YouTube

another thing i was thinking was i've been having some issues with my civic's original key alarm system from the dealership. my driver side door won't unlock when i unlock it from the remote. i had to unlock first and then use the key to open the door.

could that also cause it to crank but won't start? if so, any way to disable that as a process of elimination to find out the root cause?
absolutely the factory alarm could be the culprit as it is tied into the immobilizer system. When you crank, is there a picture of a key on the dash? Or is there a blinking red indicator somewhere on the dash? I would start first and foremost with this alarm issue. I also wouldn't rec. cranking your car over for more than say 5 seconds at a time. Long cranks are very hard on the starter. I know you were just trying to make a video for more info to the forum, but just throwing it out there.