Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

check engine light

Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM
2FasT4you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

I just installed new headers and exhaust on my 2006 honda civic si and after running it for a day the check engine light came on, I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and the light came back on. How do I get rid of the check engine light? Please help me it's driving me crazy
Old 12-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Ireland23

I've seen that before and sometimes will get car owners that have yanked the bulb out. That would work for your case if you're just fed up with the light going away. However, there are two downsides to this: for one, you're blinding your car from letting you know if there is a problem down the road. Secondly, if you were to trade that vehicle in, you'd be disguising a technical problem from inspections (although the code will still appear in the mechanic's powertrain control module (PCM).

Apologies for digressing, but the best way to get rid of a blinking or constant light is to get inside your fusebox - which may be centered around the steering wheel - and do a diagnostics reset until the check engine light appears for a couple seconds and then eventually will disappear. That should take care of any glitches. If that doesn't work, I would take it to a Honda dealership and ask their pros for help.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Shannon21

Even after resetting the computer back, it's probably just a temporary glitch. Is the car under any kind of warranty where you could drop it off at the dealership and have them tweak it or best case scenario, switch out the computer entirely?