Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Prelude oil change

Old 08-17-2003, 11:49 AM
DirtySouthLudin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prelude oil change

I need some advice on how to change the oil in my 99' prelude. Where exactly in the oil drain and oil filter? Is there a web site that shows a diagram? I just bought the car used and don't care to spend 4 times the money for someone else to do it.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

go to autozone or napa

pick up a haynes or chiltons repair manual for that specific vehicle

and you can pick up the oil and filter while your at it too
Old 08-19-2003, 05:57 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

yes...follow technodigifreak's advice. Get a repair manual. Once you start to change the oil, you want to do other things i assure you. And if you dont know how to change the oil, you need a manual in the first place.

And btw, welcome to the realm of DIY!

Dave
Old 08-20-2003, 08:25 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, I think oil changing is in the OWNERS manual. It probably isn't even described in the shop manual because it's already in the owner's book.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:12 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally posted by JimBlake
Actually, I think oil changing is in the OWNERS manual. It probably isn't even described in the shop manual because it's already in the owner's book.
yes..u are right. It coveres torque specs, and the type of oil you need in the owners manual. Its really really simple!

Dave
Old 08-21-2003, 08:10 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

yeah, its a pretty intuitive interface
Old 09-17-2003, 06:54 PM
karlt10

Couple of tips- Hondas/Acuras use a washer on the oil pan drain plug. Make sure you get a new washer- it WILL leak if you use the old one. It will. Trust me.

Another thing, an excellent tip is to pre-lube the filter before you install it. What you want to do, before you get underneath the car- anything- is take your brand-new filter. With is sitting in the box so you can see in to the holes in the bottom of it, what you want to do is pour some oil into the larger, center oil. Go ahead and fill up to just inside the lip. Wait about 15 seconds, it will drop a bit, pour in some more. Go ahead and hop underneath and pull your old filter and/or pull the drain plug. When you get done with that go ahead and pour some more in. I can 'fill' mine usually 5 times before I have to stop- DO NOT KEEP POURING IN OIL OR IT WILL RUN OUT WHEN YOU GO TO PUT THE FILTER ON THE ENGINE.

What this will do is load the 'output' side of the filter with fresh, clean oil and get it going that much quicker when you start the motor when you're done.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:56 AM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

No offence intended but you need a manual if you are asking this question. But in the mean time, your filter is located just under the intake manifold. If you have just opened your hood and are standing in front of the car, you'll want to look straight back at the fire wall then go down below the intake manifold and look at the block there you will find the filter. You will want to get under the car to change it though. The drain plug is the bolt protruding from your oil pan, the big black tub on the bottom of your motor.

Follow the previous advice and change out the crush washer before you put the drain plug back in or it will leak. When you put the new filter on, I don't know about the need to fill it up but be sure to lube the rubber seal by just running some oil around it with your finger. Hand tighten the filter until the rubber seal makes contact the use a filter wrench to tighten it aprox. 3/4 turn.

My h22 takes about 5.1 quarts to fill so buy six qts so that you have enough. I fill mine until it sits right at the full/max mark on the dip stick that way when vtec kicks in, it gets good oil pressure
Old 09-30-2003, 05:01 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally posted by karlt10
What this will do is load the 'output' side of the filter with fresh, clean oil and get it going that much quicker when you start the motor when you're done.
Is this really needed? Its not like your gonna drag ur car immediatly after startup. I usually let it idle up to normal operating temp and watch for leaks anyway. I'm sure it doesnt take that long for the oil pump to soak the filter and have fresh oil lubricating the engine. IMO this extra step is not needed and is a wast of time..ur engine does this for you when u start it up.

But i do recommend rubbing some oil on the rubber seal on the filter before install.

Dave
Old 09-30-2003, 06:21 PM
karlt10

Waste of time? It takes all of a combined 45 seconds.

And yes, it does reduce the amount of 'dry' time on the valve-train at start-up.

kt