Notices

Adding tweeters to 2003 Accord

Old 09-01-2003, 09:55 PM
chambl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding tweeters to 2003 Accord

Does anyone know how safely get the speaker grilles for the tweeters out of a 2003 Accord? I'm thinking about installing some, but I haven't seen any info on the net so far for installing them. Does anyone also have any brand of tweeters to recommend?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2003, 05:39 AM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

with most cars, you need to take the whole door panel off. it's not hard tho. just some screws and clips.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:59 AM
chambl

on the 7th gen accords, I notice that there's a speaker grille where the pillars meets the dash. I guess that's where the tweeters would go instead of in the door. Would I have to take the whole top part of the dash off to get access into those spaces or is there an easier way?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Draka

Yes, that's where the tweeters are - on the dash. I think I saw on another board that you can pop the grills off with a screwdriver . . . but I don't know for sure. You know that, if you have an LX or EX, there are already tweeters in there, right? I have a DX so I don't have any :sad:
Old 09-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Draka

Oh - I saw on another post of yours that you have a DX too! Now I see. I'm glad I'm not the only 2003 DX person here any more!
Did you add rear speakers yet? I still haven't gotten around to that.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:58 PM
chambl

I know what you mean.... With almost everyone having a LX or EX, it sure kinda feels lonely here having the DX But that's ok...

Canadian models of the DX have the rear speakers included. Pioneer ones. I haven't taken a closer look at them yet, but now come to think of it, maybe I will. What I don't have are the tweeters. Now that I realize that almost everyone here has the LX or EX, they already have the tweeters built in. No wonder I haven't received any response.

What's also nice is that we also have the keyless entry system standard on the DX (i.e. the funky key with the fob built in). Really comes in handy...
Old 09-03-2003, 02:04 PM
chambl

Oops, I didn't see your first response. So they can be popped off with a screwdriver huh? Hmm... I should take a closer look in there... Hopefully they might already have the speaker wires running in there
Old 09-03-2003, 05:25 PM
dliske
Set a fire, go to jail!

In my car, 99 Accord LX, I was in the same boat as you and considered putting tweeters in the dash (the grills were there but no speakers). I talked to many stereo people, and it was their opinion that tweeters in the dash may be too harsh, and a better location may be in the door or in the panel near the feet. I didn't feel like having the door panel cut, or a custom enclosure made, so I just went with a higher quality coax and didn't put separate tweeters in. For me, it was a good decision, but ultimately it will be your ear and you are the one you must please.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:05 PM
chambl

Hmm...

How big of a difference did you notice after changing to high quality coaxes?
Old 09-04-2003, 09:04 AM
dliske
Set a fire, go to jail!

Big difference. The speakers are much more efficient and the sound quality is no comparison to stock. Getting away from the paper cones in stock speakers is probably the single best move you can make, in my opinion. BTW, I also upgraded the rear speakers, even though they are pretty much used for lower end sound (fade is adjusted to have most of the sound coming out the front.) The HU was also changed out at the time, and the next move is an amp to help overall efficiency of the system.