Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

valve cover.

Old 08-13-2003, 11:35 AM
xX94aCcOrDXx
leet member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover.

i need to sand and repaint my valve cover. is it safe to take it off? and when im putting it back in, the haynes manual tells me to apply RTV sealant to the corners, and install a new rubber gasket. is that necessary?

thanks.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:36 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

If you don't want it to leak, it's a very good idea.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:09 AM
LudeBehavior

It's safe to take it off, but I would find a way to cover your exposed cams so that large debris does not get in your engine. If your gasket is new enough it can probably be reused. It just depends on the condition it's in. I reused mine 3 or 4 times without having to change it. When you take the current gasket off you will see where they used RTV. to seal the ends. just apply the new RTV in the same spot. Be sure if you reuse your gasket, to get rid of the old RTV befor you put the new stuff on
Old 08-14-2003, 07:34 AM
jmvar

RTV? can someone answer my stupid question.......what is this?

thnx
Old 08-14-2003, 07:42 AM
LudeBehavior

you can buy it at any auto store. Depending on the type of RTV you buy it is used as a gasket sealer, or you can actually use RTV as a gasket. I wouldn't recommend using it as a gasket on your valve cover though. It would look messy and is probably not as good as the rubber gasket. Just get some to seal around the distibutor lip and on the other end near the cam gear(s). If you are looking for good paint to paint your cover with, I painted mine with Duplicolor (METALCAST). I had to order it through NAPA, cuz they didn't stock it on the shelf but some stores stock it. It's about 6 bucks a can and I used about a can and a half, plus a half a can of ground coat. Paint doesn't peel or chip at high temp and looks awesome.