Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Master Cylinder/Brake Booster compatibility???

Old 08-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Civic Type Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master Cylinder/Brake Booster compatibility???

OK... so I have a 97 civic dx and I've swapped the rear disc brakes from a 97 Del Sol VTEC. I know I need to get the 4040 proportioning valve from any non abs honda equipped with rear disc brakes but that is beside the point. I find that my pedal is very low now and so I'd like to upgrade from a 13/16'' to a 15/16'' Master Cylinder. My question is... will the 15/16'' master cylinder from the Del Sol bolt onto my 97 civic brake booster???

I know someone on here can help.... Thanks!
Old 08-11-2003, 02:15 PM
CivicRacr

since you have a 6G civic, i'd suggest getting a mater cylinder from a 99-00 si, just bolts right on, i've done it to my 00 EX, and the proportioning valve from 99-00 SI too, also a direct bolt on.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:29 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

The '96+ EX MC is a 15/16" as well (at least my '98 EX is). I know it's a direct bolt in to a 13/16" car and willl definately help firm up that pedal.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:31 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I did my swap, my 15/16" MC wouldn't bolt to my civic booster, I had to get an integra one. The bolt pattern was the same, but the 15/16" didn't go deep enough into the booster, and the nuts didn't have enough thread engagement. Different car tho... :dunno:
Old 08-16-2003, 12:31 AM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

I have a 99 GSR MC, that I'm HOPING will bolt to my stock EX brake booster, we'll see, I HAVE the teg BB, but rather not have to install it...

Also, from what I understand, the 4-wheel disk delsol, 5th gen civics with 4-wheel disk (some EXs), and the integra RS (non-abs) prop valve are supposedly interchangable.

I'm still trying to source mine...

-PHiZ
Old 08-16-2003, 09:13 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

I just put my old civic booster and 13/15 MC back on because I was having a wierd dragging problem (probably with the booster). I went to the shop and picked up a 1" MC, and I still have my 15/16", so I guess I'll find out for sure whats compatible with the civic booster in the next couple days. I'll let you know what I find...
Old 08-16-2003, 10:18 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

I know a kid who's brake swap is totally ****ed, it drags as the car runs, like he can't even get up to 3rd before the wheels lock...

The symptom kinda makes me think brake booster, cause it doesn't happen until the car gets up to power...

I'm guessing the kid thta did the install took the shortcut of not installing the brake booster.

Sh*tbox, what combination of things exhibited dragging, if you would tell please...

-PHiZ
Old 08-17-2003, 11:22 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

thats the exact same problem I was having... In fact, I posted about it a couple times, but didn't get any help...

I was running F/R integra brakes (w/ brembo rotors, axxis ultimate, ss lines, not that that really matters) and when I put on the booster and MC is when I started having the problem (the 13/16MC and civic booster worked fine, just felt like shit). I was using a brand new 15/16MC, and a *mystery* (he said 95 gsr, but who knows) integra booster from some random guy on hondaclassifieds.com (don't ever buy anything there) when I had the problem. I'm assuming the booster was faulty because thats the only part in the whole braking system that wasn't brand new :dunno:

I just put the 13/16 and civic booster back on, and when I get a day off, I'll try and figure out whats wrong.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:44 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

well I just talked to the kid, and looked at his setup. We decided that pulling the vaccum line to the Booster, would eliminate that as a source of problems, and pinpoint if that was what was causing the issue.

But while we were in there, I noticed on his, there is a check valve. Well it is a white union piece with an arrow on it, and I guessed it was a check valve (one-way valve).

Maybe the kid that did the swap, reversed this.

-PHiZ
Old 08-17-2003, 08:54 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

where was the valve? and what happened when you pulled the vacuum hose?