Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Headlights Turning Yellow

Old 08-09-2003, 05:15 PM
98WhtCivicEx
^^That's Me!^^

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights turning yellow? Happen to anyone else?

Somebody help me on this. I know that I am not the only one with this problem cause I see quite a few civics around with the same problem.
Basically the top of my top of my headlights, about the top 1/3 of them are fading to a yellow color. I am not too sure if it is the headlight stained yellow or if there are a bunch of little cracks in the headlight that is making it looked fogged or if its just on the surface and it could be sanded out. Just got my car rapainted white and now the yellow on the white stands out more then anything. I am hopefully looking for someone who has had this problem and has been able to fix it, and if you weren't able to fix it, let me know what you did to resolve it. Basically I just want to know if I can fix the problem or if I would have to buy all new headlights. Any replys would be helpful. Thanks. :thumbup:
Old 08-09-2003, 10:26 PM
slow_mo

yeah i had the same problem. i thought it was from the condesation and the heat from the bulbs. i dont know that is what i think. thats why i bought new headlights plus i was getting tired of the stock look
Old 08-10-2003, 01:42 AM
98WhtCivicEx
^^That's Me!^^

Cool....anyone else? Need to know what to do about this problem.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:24 PM
lkailburn
college kid

yeah, i have the same problem. does the outside feel like it has a film on it? well i've heard that using a buffer works( the electric ones), but i haven't had the time to wash my lights and buff em out. so idk. they say it works, i haven't tried it personally. let me know if it works for you
Old 08-10-2003, 08:33 PM
98WhtCivicEx
^^That's Me!^^

Alright, will have to give that a try. My neighbor has a buffer he just bought, will have to take that from him for a day. But as far as the film, I am not too sure. The bottom feels kinda fine but the top feels kinda rough, I don't know if it is me or not just thinking I feel soemthing but I will post a pic up as soon as I can to give everyone a better idea.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:52 AM
AnthonyM16
Shave your wing

Most likely it's condensation. I had a similar problem with my truck. I took the headlight housing off and soaked it in a bucket of hot water and CLR (calcium, lime and rust remover). You should be able to get it at Walmart. Then I bluffed the outside of the houseing and it looks as good as new.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:53 AM
Civic Type Sev

I had the same thing happen on mine after an accident. The accident caused a very small crack on the back of the housing that I didn't notice in time to seal it. Anyway.... this allowed moisture on the inside of the light and within a month... the whole upper part of the headlight had turned yellow. I noticed the crack when I did my DIY black housing headlights. I tried using a very fine sand paper (2000 grit) to remove the yellow film on the inside of the clear cover but that didn't work. Maybe a buffer with rubbing compound would have worked but it would have been really hard to reach in there with a buffer. In the end.. I had a friend who had a headlamp with a broken housing so I replaced the clear cover on mine with his.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Civic Type Sev

That' a really good idea.... CLR... I never would have thought about that but I'm sure it could work.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Kha
eliteness hit me

by yellow do you mean like deposits are filming up.. if so you can buy some of this shit called NEVERDULL, comes in a tin and you simply grab a piece of the material and polish it out :thumbup:
Old 08-12-2003, 12:57 PM
98WhtCivicEx
^^That's Me!^^

Thanks everybody for the great replies. I tried the buffer but it didn't seem to work too well. I think it might be on the inside but not too sure. I think I will try that CLR response and see how that goes. If you have any other ideas on what this could be. or if you had had it and have any idea on how to fix it or how you fixed it, feel free to respond.

Originally posted by Kha
by yellow do you mean like deposits are filming up.. if so you can buy some of this shit called NEVERDULL, comes in a tin and you simply grab a piece of the material and polish it out :thumbup:
Im not sure it is deposits or not. The bottom is nice and clear and I can see through it but if i take a flashlight and shine it at the top of the lense at an angle where it is yellow and look closely I see hundreds of little cracks throughout it. But I don't understand why it would be cracks cause I have never been in any accidents or stuff and its the exact same on BOTH sides of the car which is ironic. Don't know why it would look like that. I could try that NEVERDULL and see if that works but I will try that CLR suggestion and see how it goes. I really need to take me a picture of it cause :wopics: and its hard to get answers if you can't see whats wrong...will try to get some pics and post them as soon as I can.