Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Misfiring?? IDLE help!!!

Old 08-08-2003, 09:48 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfiring?? IDLE help!!!

Okay i had an overheating problem the other day and now when i start it up it has a rough idle for about a second and then it stops... sounds sorta like its mis-firing. but anyway, i fixed the coolant air pockets, and re-tightened the head bolts for the headgasket.

when i pulled the plugs the gap was HUGE i mean like .044 X 3 at least..... but when i did the .044 (1.12mm i think) it made it worse at idle, it made it so it was more rough for a long time. well now i have it at a bigger gap, forgot what its at but now it does it very slightly. and my friend at NAPA said it looks like i fried my plugs.... and i need new one BAD... could this be it?\

btw i have an a6 block w/z6 head, and a6 intake manifold. so what should the gap be? it can't be 1.12mm or else it won't drive at all. i'm getting new plugs (NGK V-Power) on tuesday but i wanna know if this could be it?

to sum my OBSERVATIONS up its: 1.12mm gap makes it way worse|||bigger gap helps||| spark plugs are very old and are basically fried||| what could this be??? thanks a lot for the people who take the time to read this and help me out!!!!

ZiviC
AIM/AOL: ZiviCase10287
Old 08-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Set the plug gap on the new plugs to whatever it should be for a D16Z6 and work from there.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:48 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

what ecu are you using, I'm wondering if that matters at all? a6 block? That is that old ass teg? 1.6L ? DO you have an idle adjustment screw? Maybe it needs to breathe a little more, and it is leaning out, until the O2 sensor reads it and corrects it?

I dunno, grasping at straws, best of luck, let us know, anyone else have ideas?

-PHiZ