Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2005 Acura RL (Honda Legend)

Old 08-08-2003, 05:49 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Legend To Ring Changes

No pictures are up yet but according to this rumor the 2005 RL will debut with 300+hp, awd, smg transmission and VCM...also noted is a hybrid version to debut later

It's no myth - the Legend lives on. Exclusive pictures in the current issue of Auto Express magazine reveal the all-new Honda that will take on the likes of BMW's 5-Series and Mercedes' E-Class. Caught on camera at the Nürburgring in Germany, the Legend was being put though its paces by UK engineers brought in to ensure the car will appeal to European tastes.

Wider and longer than an Accord, the new model will get the 3.5-litre V6 engine first seen in the Dual Note supercar concept shown at the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show. With 300bhp, 320Nm of torque and four-wheel drive, it will have the muscle to take on the most powerful of rivals. A five-speed auto gearbox will be standard, with sequential changes available via steering wheel-mounted buttons. To improve fuel economy, the engine will get Variable Cylinder Management, which shuts down three of the six cylinders when cruising.

The car will be launched in Japan in October next year, and will arrive in Britain in 2005. A hybrid version will be introduced at a later stage, using technology showcased in the Civic IMA. Chris Thorp

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae...y.php?id=38933
Old 08-08-2003, 06:28 AM
BonzoAPD

wow if that is the case this thing will be sick and finally give the german competion a run for their money
Old 08-08-2003, 01:05 PM
velfarretokyo

The article states it will get the same 3.5L engine that powered the 2001 Dual Note concept, but a hybrid version will come later? Its my understanding that the Legend would be launched initially with a hybrid engine. Also, the Dual Note engine did in fact use hybrid technology. Something doesnt add up.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:48 PM
rb6teg

The RL should get it at introduction. If it has a weak beginning, the new RL will be doomed just like the other one. I bet 90% of people in the USA aren't even aware of what the RL is. This is when Acura should get serious....this is the launch of their flagship car, and there's too much on the line to puss out. It's too big of a feature to slip in during the mid-cycle refresh. I think every RL should come with IMA, and they should hype the hell out of the system. Massive advertising......touting it as the biggest innovation in years.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:53 PM
04 Acura TSX
DOHC iVTEC Power!

Originally posted by rb6teg
The RL should get it at introduction. If it has a weak beginning, the new RL will be doomed just like the other one. I bet 90% of people in the USA aren't even aware of what the RL is. This is when Acura should get serious....this is the launch of their flagship car, and there's too much on the line to puss out. It's too big of a feature to slip in during the mid-cycle refresh. I think every RL should come with IMA, and they should hype the hell out of the system. Massive advertising......touting it as the biggest innovation in years.
I totally agree with you. Honda needs to get serious with this car! I mean using the same engine is not good, why not a V8 like its competitors? :dunno:

It looks as if the new RL will be another flop.h:
Old 08-08-2003, 03:00 PM
rb6teg

Originally posted by 04 Acura TSX
I totally agree with you. Honda needs to get serious with this car! I mean using the same engine is not good, why not a V8 like its competitors? :dunno:

It looks as if the new RL will be another flop.h:
As long as it gets IMA, I do not think it will need a V8......in fact, I'd much rather see it get IMA than a V8....I think that will do more for Acura than the V8. It will set the company apart from all the others, and please the techno-heads that want all the latest technology in their 40-50k dollar car. American's always want the latest thing......and this would be verrrry desirable to the car buying public.......no other car company would have it yet, you could only get it in the RL.

This of course, is all a big "if"......it's all riding on whether or not the new RL debuts with IMA. IMA = Acura's success.........no IMA = RL is a flop.....again...
Old 08-08-2003, 05:06 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

This information seems shoddy. But 300hp and AWD doesn't seem like a difficult thing to get. hrm.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:53 PM
mayonaise

Originally posted by rb6teg
As long as it gets IMA, I do not think it will need a V8......in fact, I'd much rather see it get IMA than a V8....I think that will do more for Acura than the V8. It will set the company apart from all the others, and please the techno-heads that want all the latest technology in their 40-50k dollar car. American's always want the latest thing......and this would be verrrry desirable to the car buying public.......no other car company would have it yet, you could only get it in the RL.

This of course, is all a big "if"......it's all riding on whether or not the new RL debuts with IMA. IMA = Acura's success.........no IMA = RL is a flop.....again...
i think americans just want bigger and more powerful. just look at the SUV market - still going strong. even when gas prices go up and the economy goes down, all people want is bigger cars and bigger engines. they'll see "V8" and it'll immediately catch their eye. people will skim over "V6 with Integrated Motor Assist," and won't even bother to go in for a test drive.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:21 PM
rb6teg

Originally posted by mayonaise
i think americans just want bigger and more powerful. just look at the SUV market - still going strong. even when gas prices go up and the economy goes down, all people want is bigger cars and bigger engines. they'll see "V8" and it'll immediately catch their eye. people will skim over "V6 with Integrated Motor Assist," and won't even bother to go in for a test drive.
They don't buy SUV's because they have V8's.....they buy SUV's because they're trendier than minivans, and they don't look like them. They can haul around the kids and lots of junk without looking like a stiff.

Honda doesn't have to tout it as a "V-6 with Integrated Motor Assist"......they will tout it as the must have, revolutionary technology....the biggest breakthrough of the decade......and because Americans fall for car hype and flashy promotions, they will check out the RL, they will like what they see, they will test drive it, they will be floored by the performance, and finally, they will buy it if it looks nice too...(which, based on current Acura styling, I'm sure it will)

All Acura has to do is get them into the dealership.......intrigue them with IMA, "the most revolutionary technology in years", and they'll go to the nearest Acura dealership lickety split. :thumbup:
Old 08-08-2003, 10:43 PM
yianni64

Come on here. People still buy plenty of E320's, A6's and 530i's, and this so called Rl has more power than all of them. 300hp and awd, thats a bad place to start for a sport luxury sedan? That nearly matches the other peoples V8's.
Then the verson with IMA would have more power than the V8's, and etc etc.

This is nothing to new, but its good news.