Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2005 Acura RL (Honda Legend)

Old 08-09-2003, 11:38 PM
s2ktonv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWD would be a cool addition
Old 08-11-2003, 08:26 AM
GhettoMax
My other car is also slow

Default 2005 Acura RL (Honda Legend)

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6284

Recently spotted at the Nürburgring is this prototype sedan, identified by the European press as the next-generation Honda Legend — sold in the U.S. as the Acura RL.

The current Acura RL has conservative, upright styling with a tall front grille, flat roofline, and a traditional boxy shape. Even though the prototype is heavily disguised, one can clearly see the all-new, stylish shape of the new RL. Note the low front hoodline and the very rounded shape of the front end. Also note the very short trunk lid, giving the car a sporty “long hood, short trunk” style. The low-profile tires on large aluminum wheels hint at a transformation from conservative to sporty for the new RL.

There is speculation that the new RL may upgrade from V-6 engines to V-8, or that it may go from front-wheel drive to four-wheel drive, but these are just unconfirmed rumors at this time. The new model is expected as a 2005 model.

Images and text from original site brought to you by your absent moderator
Old 08-11-2003, 09:11 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this, I had two questions: How do they know it's a Honda, and where is Honda going with this?

The answers to question one became apparent. Typical Honda/Acura rearview mirrors and door handles, what looks like an Alfa Romeo up front is really just a pentagon grille opening and a set of stylish headlights, albeit VW Golf inspired. The ass end is reminiscent of a 2004 Nissan Maxima cum Altima, but this is a good thing. The wheels appear taken directly off of an Integra Type-R. The garnish under the doors and the lower parts of the doors looks just like the stuff on the TSX. The antenna on the back of the roof for OnStar and XM is clearly Acura.

Now, where is Honda going? I believe the answer is: The right direction. Away from the 3rd generation Honda Legend which screamed value and comfort instead of drive me and love me. I really think that the next Acura RL (It really should get a name change, but oh well) will move from a boat of a value packed luxury car to a seriour 5 series and GS competitor. The car is smaller in size than the current RL, and from the looks of it can probably kick some ass. All the reports of a DualNote type AWD system on the car are very promising. I'm beginning to get very, very excited about this car and am perhaps realizing why one Honda engineer said that the IMA system could not be used in the NSX because of weight. This is the car that I said should be built a year ago when the DualNote concept debuted...something between the RL and TL in terms of size and sportiness. But this will replace the RL in all but price.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:21 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Note the FRP schnoz and arse bolted on. Big time disguising for an Acura. I'm very eager to see where this will go. :thumbup:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:25 AM
rb6teg

the shape is sexy as hell......pleasssssseee Acura, I cannot beg enough. Do it right, give it IMA :thumbup:

I'm very suprised to see those taillights on a Honda. I would have thought they'd be too conservative to do something like that. :dunno: Maybe this really is a new beginning for Acura.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:50 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Nice shape. I want AWD. :happysad:
Old 08-11-2003, 12:12 PM
LuckyDog
AccordPower24

I really hope this is the next Legend, just so we know something it coming soon. The current one has been out just a tad bit too long.

However, these photos have me confused. When you follow the shutlines on the hood, it would make it appear like the fascia has been covered by 3 inches of disguise (hence the inconsistent shutline from the above front 3/4ths view). The fender shows this especially.

However, when you look at the second picture, the hood and fender of the car look flat.

So, is the hood front shot a bad photoshop or is their really weird guising on the front that's not visible from the back?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:25 PM
LuckyDog
AccordPower24

I probabily broke a few rules here at the office, but they're not gonna' fire me

I PS'd the picture to emphasize what I meant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rl.jpg (133.3 KB, 832 views)
Old 08-11-2003, 12:34 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see what you mean, AP, and I don't have an answer. It's very hard to tell. I do not think it is a PS...shadowing is too consistent, and why would you go to this length just to screw it all up by messing up the front end.

Is it just me or does this vehicle seem to handle awfully...neutrally? Almost as if the vehicle was...AWD *gasp*.

This all begs the question...why was the 3rd gen Legend designed so poorly? It is a true LOSER. It has no redeeming qualities aside from value, size and features. It's as if Honda took the GM approach...poor or no market testing, head up the ass car design. They might as well have just kept making the 2nd gen Legend...it sure looked better. Just look at the SSR...after the initial flurry of sales, NOONE will buy those. It's like a Plymouth Prowler all over again. C&D gave it a full road test, and they showed how the New Beetle GLX outperforms it in EVERY way for half the price. Unbelievable.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:28 PM
mayonaise

yeah, the car in those photos are heavily disguised. the headlights only look like VW golf headlights because they wanted to hide the actual shape as much as possible. and the same goes for the tail. the things that LuckyDog pointed out, big pieces of plastic or metal attached to both ends of the car are something i've never seen before. usually they just tape it up, so you can at least make out the shape of the body. but in this case, the disguising makes it about 99% impossible to tell what the front and rear ends will look like.

for one thing, i don't think it will be that round and smooth... but by looking at the roof line and rear windshield, it looks like its going to be rounder than the previous legends.

the rear wheel looks tiny on that body. honda keeps having that problem with their designs.. new accord, TSX, new TL. the rear wheel and wheel wells look small as hell. BMW and mercedes designs usually don't look like that for some reason.