Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2005 Acura RL (Honda Legend)

Old 08-08-2003, 10:59 PM
jeffphx
jeffphx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rb6teg
As long as it gets IMA, I do not think it will need a V8......in fact, I'd much rather see it get IMA than a V8....I think that will do more for Acura than the V8. It will set the company apart from all the others, and please the techno-heads that want all the latest technology in their 40-50k dollar car.......no IMA = RL is a flop.....again...
I agree completely!!! It would definitely set the RL apart. Plus, if it get IMA it should help the RL sell well in the Europe and Japan where gas cost twice as much as here and emissions are even more important for tax reasons.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:15 AM
mayonaise

[B]They don't buy SUV's because they have V8's.....they buy SUV's because they're trendier than minivans, and they don't look like them. They can haul around the kids and lots of junk without looking like a stiff.
is there a V8 minivan to compete with any V8 SUVs? sure, minivans aren't trendy whatsoever, and SUVs are. one of the reasons behind the SUV trend is the size of them. many SUVs are huge, and are getting bigger every year (explorer -> expedition -> excursion). people always want bigger, more powerful cars. if no one was looking for a giant car, no one would buy a giant SUV! also, i don't think the SUV market is saturated exclusively with parents wanting to haul around their kids. it makes up a big part of it, but thats not the only side to it. don't most mid-sized SUVs lack a third row of seating? saying that people will make a switch from a minivan to a mid-sized SUV is perfectly reasonable. they're about the same size, MAYBE the SUV has third row seats... but the fact is, THOUSANDS of full-sized SUVs keep selling year after year. the size is a huge factor

i don't think a new legend NEEDS a V8 either. but the point is, people love having V8s. most people don't know any better, they just think V8s are superior because they're bigger, and they think they'll have more power (usually they have more torque).

Honda doesn't have to tout it as a "V-6 with Integrated Motor Assist"......they will tout it as the must have, revolutionary technology....the biggest breakthrough of the decade......and because Americans fall for car hype and flashy promotions, they will check out the RL, they will like what they see, they will test drive it, they will be floored by the performance, and finally, they will buy it if it looks nice too...(which, based on current Acura styling, I'm sure it will)

All Acura has to do is get them into the dealership.......intrigue them with IMA, "the most revolutionary technology in years", and they'll go to the nearest Acura dealership lickety split. :thumbup:
i agree that honda will market IMA as a new technology, but they're still electric motors. hybrid technology is something people haven't fully embraced yet as THE replacement for the internal combustion engine.

furthermore, hondas recent ad campaigns in the US haven't really made an impression on me. in fact, honda ads have NEVER stood out to me. even with the RSX and TSX, its like they're not even trying. they make commercials and such, but they don't do things on the same level as, say, volkswagon. so i'm not too convinced that they're going to draw people in with promotional material.

anyone that isn't infatuated with european cars, lexus', or giant engines will have the sense to realize that the new legend will be a superior car. just like many hondas/acuras are compared to their competitors. but i don't think its going to be enough to make this car blow away the competition.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:25 AM
OLDZ

Lets just keep our fingers cross on this one. Just because they are giving it more power etc. does not mean that it will be an instant hit. Just look at what happened to the new Q45. That car is light years ahead of the previous generation. It has more power, better looks (IMO), better technology.. but its sales numbers do not reflect that at all.....just a thought.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:13 AM
velfarretokyo

No one needs a V8, but if you really want to be considered a serious contender in the upper luxury segment you're going to have to off at least V8 power. Sadly, the current RL doesn't do that which is why it sells poorly in comparison to the 5-series and E-class. A V8 is no guarantee of success, just look at the M45 and Q45, but its part of the package.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:41 AM
mayonaise

Originally posted by velfarretokyo
No one needs a V8, but if you really want to be considered a serious contender in the upper luxury segment you're going to have to off at least V8 power. Sadly, the current RL doesn't do that which is why it sells poorly in comparison to the 5-series and E-class. A V8 is no guarantee of success, just look at the M45 and Q45, but its part of the package.
the Q45 argument is very true, and is only an indication that it could really go either way. but imagine if nissan had put a V6 in the new Q45
Old 08-09-2003, 03:17 PM
yianni64

The RL is lacking overall. If you want to seriously tell me a base RL with 300hp, AWD, TONS of standards (nav, onstar, xenon, etc etc stuff that you pay up the wazoo for in a german car) for a selling price thats lower wont be a hit, even if they call it the Acura POS. As long as its not butt ugly.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:44 PM
velfarretokyo

With the RL so far off I doubt those are credible images of the new car. Besides, I'm sure Honda will show off a "concept" version of the car soon that will give us visual hints.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:44 PM
mayonaise

the first one is a photoshop of TSX. the second one is some spyshot of some car, and probably not photoshopped. but its not a legend. its too small to be one.

this is more credible, i think:
http://a298.g.akamai.net/7/298/5382/...0_image002.jpg
Old 08-09-2003, 08:32 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by mayonaise
the first one is a photoshop of TSX. the second one is some spyshot of some car, and probably not photoshopped. but its not a legend. its too small to be one.

this is more credible, i think:
http://a298.g.akamai.net/7/298/5382/...0_image002.jpg
Let's hope it looks like that, minus the gross wheels and grill.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

you cant tell me that the 2nd pic is not shopped in some way... look at the bumper in the back.... its like pasted on.