Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

No ground at ignitor...WTF?

Old 08-08-2003, 05:16 AM
Rembrant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No ground at ignitor...WTF?

Hello Folks,

Well, I've searched the forum for a solution, but haven't had any luck. It seems there have been others with this problem, but nobody has posted their cures.
Heres the scoop, I have a plain jane optionless '91 Civic HB that won't start. I returned from a ten day trip and it just hasn't worked since. It winds over fine, getting lots of fuel, but when I tested the spark, it was very weak, and orange, not a nice blue or white snap like a strong spark should be.
Cap/rotor/wires/plugs/timing belt, all new only a few months ago, and I replaced the cap/rotor again last night, to no avail.
According to my cheap Haynes manual, a resistance test on the primary and secondary sides of the ignition coil, say its right on spec. I replaced the ignitor, and still no dice. However, I've tested the four wires that go to the ignitor, and two of them have 12vdc as they're supposed to, but the other two, which are supposed to show continuity to ground, do not? One is supposed to be grounded through the ECU and is not, while the other is supposed to be either through the tach, or auto tranny, both of which my car does not have. I've traced the wiring harness all the way to the firewall, and the wires test OK. ECU not showing any codes, only a single solitary flash when the key is first turned on. I've read this other post which is exactly the same as my problem: https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...hlight=ignitor
I'm really at a loss with this thing, and I hate to take my stuff to a mechanic, nor do I wanna just arbitrarily replace parts and troubleshoot by trial and error. I now have a $125 ignitor to decorate my toolbox with.
Maybe I'll price an FSM at the dealer, so I can get some more specifics.
If any of you can offer any help, I'd much appreciate it. thank you.

Rembrant
Old 08-08-2003, 11:55 AM
firebane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have a haynes manual and my car did the same thing cept I was getting no spark at all. I replaced both my ingitor and coil and it works fine now. If you follow the haynes manual as they say to test the coil and ignitor and one of the 2 fail then its gonna be that. If they both pass then you have a problem elsewhere, check fuses and stuff.